Timing advice?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubyRed65

Reaction score
Hello all...

Just bought an early 69 bay seemed a bit sluggish so thought I'd give it a good service.

All ok except my book(how to keep you VW alive) is telling me that my engine (engine number starts with B) should be statically set a 0 degrees TDC... three notches on crank pully 0, 7.5 and 10... never had to set an engine at 0 before (normally 7.5) so a little concerned especially as it was set at 10 before I touched anything!!

Any thoughts/advice anyone please!!?

Running a 009 distributor and 30 pict 2 carb.

Thanks in advance!

RubyRed

Hi - the timing should be set relevant to the dizzy installed on the engine, not the engine number, especially as dizzy's vary from engine to engine due to replacement/upgrade - there's a good resource on timing for it - will dig it out

Here's a good one from VW Resource:

http://www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks very much for that... very helpful!!

Too late now to rev at 3000rpm so tomorrow I think!!

Thanks again.

ATB

RubyRed

I have had the same issue, I know the dist advances at least 20 degrees max, I have been unable to determin what one it is so I have my 1600 set at 7.5 and it seems happy.

Latest posts