To all resprayed factory colour bus folks.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but when you get your touch up paint for touch ups etc etc, does anyone have a problem with folks mixing the right shade ? For instance my bus factory colour is Velvet Green and I've yet to find anywhere that can mix it to the shade my bus is. Plus a lot of paint scanners don't go far back enough. Its a nightmare and i need some slight touch ups sorted on my bus. I wouldn't of thought it was a hard colour to do but meh. What do you folks do ? 🤙

Green like red seems to fade over the years, mine is Pearl White yet you only have to look at them in a line up and there will be 10 different shades! I don't know what the answer it to match it, but I'd find something at the local motor factor that is close enough, will keep the rust at bay at least

find the code, find the ingredients, have it mixed and sprayed onto a sprayout card, compare to yours , modify the colour and mix again until it matches, go to a paint shop with their own colour scheme, pay them well for their time

Mines repainted in a random colour (I've now realised after trying to match it for years with VW shades). So, I just took the fuel flap into a paint place and they mixed a pot from that ... best match Ive ever had.

Green like red seems to fade over the years, mine is Pearl White yet you only have to look at them in a line up and there will be 10 different shades! I don't know what the answer it to match it, but I'd find something at the local motor factor that is close enough, will keep the rust at bay at least
I was going to say red too is a nightmare. Especially Montana red. That was originally what i was going to have at the spray shop years ago untill i decided original was the best way. I did test the red on my engine lid and that colour literally changed every angle. It is mad how colours change in different lights. Velvet Green seems to be alot of shades with only L512 code. In a few years i think i am going to have to get her resprayed again (darn it😉) and keep a few cans back for touch ups. My other thought is she not the colour i asked for amd she's a different green from a different make. Il not be happy if that's the case ha

find the code, find the ingredients, have it mixed and sprayed onto a sprayout card, compare to yours , modify the colour and mix again until it matches, go to a paint shop with their own colour scheme, pay them well for their time
Hey David. I have before and i actually wanted to see what was going into the paint on a stores system. Theres only 4 colours in Velvet Green and i i just dont know. Maybe its how its mixed i have no idea but its definitely wrong. Nightmare.

Mines repainted in a random colour (I've now realised after trying to match it for years with VW shades). So, I just took the fuel flap into a paint place and they mixed a pot from that ... best match Ive ever had.
Hey Clem. Oh right. How did they do that though ? I took my dash ash tray because its got the body colour on the facia and they haven't a clue around here.

Out of interest, have you given it a mop & polish? I just love old paint that's been rejuvenated, warts an all!
Yep. 1200 paper lightly sanded and a polish wheel and polish and still the same but this is a spray from 2013.

Hey David. I have before and i actually wanted to see what was going into the paint on a stores system. Theres only 4 colours in Velvet Green and i i just dont know. Maybe its how its mixed i have no idea but its definitely wrong. Nightmare.

you're not trying to match it to the code, you're trying to match it to your paint by changing the paint mix from a colour it was painted in a factory 50 years ago with chemicals and paint mixes that no longer exist, get it painted onto a sprayout card, alter the mix , spray again, pay a decent paint shop with their own colour scheme and you will get a match , it takes time and skill

Hey Clem. Oh right. How did they do that though ? I took my dash ash tray because its got the body colour on the facia and they haven't a clue around here.
I think they scan it and a computer matches it. I’ve done the same in a DIY shop to get some paint matched to go behind wallpaper joints.

Hey folks. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but when you get your touch up paint for touch ups etc etc, does anyone have a problem with folks mixing the right shade ? For instance my bus factory colour is Velvet Green and I've yet to find anywhere that can mix it to the shade my bus is. Plus a lot of paint scanners don't go far back enough. Its a nightmare and i need some slight touch ups sorted on my bus. I wouldn't have thought it was a hard colour to do but meh. What do you folks do ? 🤙
Mines all over the place. I like it that way. Red so never going to be perfect.

Velgreeno just make sure you got a solvent T\In paint you don’t want water based as that will wash out or add a solvent clear coat after water base.

Cheers for the replies folks. Still struggling to find anywhere to do a good mix but il keep looking. Going to have to look further afield.

Latest posts