Tolls - Car Or Commercial?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHutch

Reaction score
Should we pay the normal car rate or the higher rate for vans when driving through a road toll?

If its got windows its a car, if its a panel van, or single/double cab then it pays commercial rates - usually.

Sod that I pay what ever is cheaper, I even won the argument on isle of wight ferry saying it was a commercial vehicle because the price had gone up!

Squeeze on the channel tunnel in pop top westy just as a car , but truth is a range rover bigger I guess

Clem said:
If its got windows its a car, if its a panel van, or single/double cab then it pays commercial rates - usually.

Does this usually apply to cross channel ferries too? I recently booked a Dover-Dunkerque ferry online and felt obliged to click 'motorhome'. Seems I might have got away with 'car'?

The ones I go on regularly and sometimes even topless are the Severn bridge tolls. I now days pay by card through an automatic barrier, but even when there is someone taking the money, I've only ever paid car rates. I've never even been asked if it might be commercial. Mine does have Windows.

Ozziedog,,,,,, that'll be car then , :mrgreen:

KevH said:
Clem said:

Does this usually apply to cross channel ferries too? I recently booked a Dover-Dunkerque ferry online and felt obliged to click 'motorhome'. Seems I might have got away with 'car'?

When we went to Spain we booked as car - motorhome was more expensive as it assumes your vehicle will be more than 6ft tall, whereas my bay isn't :)

KevH said:
Clem said:

Yeah, Ive only ever booked as a car :)

Some tolls go on front bonnet height! My vito goes through as a car as 10mm lower then commercial cut off height (been lowered)! And my camper went through as commercial as its a flat front panel ! Some tolls can get away paying as a car coz it has windows in the side, but you normally have to contest that! If you pre book ferries most of the time you can get away with em being cars!

I don't know about tolls but when I travelled with Brittany Ferries earlier this year I did the naive/honest thing (!) and called them to find out which box I should tick for our Early Bay. I couldn't be bothered with the aggro of getting to the ferry and argueing the toss with them at 0500 in the rain!

They told me that T2's were considered in the same class as a 4x4 so that's the box I ticked and all was fine!

Latest posts