Top 10 spares to take on a Europe road trip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shea

Reaction score
Typical to myself getting my bus ready for my road trip around europe this month is going down to the wire.

I'm out of time and out of money to invest in a load of spares. So to give me an idea of the important parts if you had to take 10 spares with you what would they be?

What I have at the moment is a spare accelerator cable, carb, distributor.

Thanks,
Shea.

There already is a topic about who carries which spares. Try to find it, it will definitely help you.

I carry an accelerator cable, clutch cable, Fuel pump, fuses, distributor cap, fuel line and clamps, fuel filter and an ignition coil.
Next to different handtools I also carry a special tool to undo the castle nut for the rear wheels.

Also I found a list via Google with all the Aircooled specialst in Europe visible on a map. If you get into trouble and need parts or help you can check if there is someone close to you selling parts. Unfortunately i can't find it right away.

When I was in Spain the Clevis pin where the clutch pedal meets the clutch cable wore through. I had to replace it with a bolt to get the rest of the journey home (and the following 6 months!)

A small handful of random nuts/bolts is always handy to carry :)

I have spare cables, fan belt, enough to servive the dizzi inc leads and plugs, spare electric fuel pup, clips etc, load off different nuts bolts and screws, fuel filter, tin off oil and loads off other bits I tend to if I got it in the garage I take it.
Main thing is cable ties and duct tape.
My throttle pedal fell off in France one year so i cable tied it back on as a temporary repair, tjat was nearly 2 years ago.
Must upgrade to one of Buttys kits.

Accel cable
clutch cable and the shitty end connecter
Plugs, points coil, condenser, ht leads, fan belt, service kit, bulbs fuses wire and connectors, jack axle stand,tools, wallet, beer.

thats the basic as far as i see it. depends how far ya wanna go , some guys take an alternater and the whole 9 yards.

the more ya take the less you will need and viky verky.

just read that its 12 things...... er remove two but not the beer and wallet.

jth

I care a few spare's everyday
Dizzy all timed w/clamp.
fuel pump
coil
voltage regulator
wire for 'Hot wiring'
oil
both cables, throttle an clutch
Shifter,,just in case the 'empi' takes a shit :lol:
and enough tools to do a complete over haul :lol:

KevH said:
Resto-raider said:

Out of curiosity I clicked on some of the pins on that map. Let's just say I would not want to rely on it in an emergency. It looks like it was compiled after drinking several tinnies of homebrew :lol:

PS - no offence to the originator, it was probably spot on when first posted. :D

The ones I clicked on in the Netherlands still exist on that address. Don't know about the others.

Resto-raider said:
KevH said:
Resto-raider said:

Out of curiosity I clicked on some of the pins on that map. Let's just say I would not want to rely on it in an emergency. It looks like it was compiled after drinking several tinnies of homebrew :lol:

PS - no offence to the originator, it was probably spot on when first posted. :D

The ones I clicked on in the Netherlands still exist on that address. Don't know about the others.

That's lucky as I heading your way in August. :lol:

I'm off down to South Coast of Spain this summer returning through France, might need a spare longblock.....

I take the usual consumables, a few generic spares such as gasket sealant jubilee clips, nuts and bolts etc. but I now don't trust alternator pulleys so I carry at least one of them at all times as well as a woodruff key for when I drop one when I'm trying to fit a new pulley.

If anyone is heading down there Volkstuning in Estepona carry a good range of spares.

cheers

Never done it but sounds like a really cool thing to do,
we are going to eurocamp france this summer in the t5 (not volvo)
probably a good idea to go through the mechanics, take the drums off, check fuel lines, gear linkage, clutch cable both ends ,etc you might find something three quarters worn out before you leave.

best of luck & have a great time :)

Thanks everyone. I did see the other thread on spares but it was a very long list. What I'm going to get is ignition parts, clutch cable, pulley belt, consumables and a box of spare fittings bolts.

That map will come in handy as well cheers!

When we did this last year (albeit with a Diesel engine) I took various nuts and bolts, fuses, bulbs, cable ties, screws, washers and gaffer tap. Wedged 2 litres of oil behind the battery, always carries drinking water on the van anyway. Got me out of trouble.

I take all the usual spares plus a old good clutch ... 3 -4 hours to change or ruined holiday ???

I take phone numbers of all the usual suspects megabug t2d heritage etc if you can get to a campsite they will send bits to you :)

Also put a shout out on here there's guys from all over Europe who help out if needed

Don't forget fluids .... Petrol... Brake.fluid :..oil ...grease cv grease bearing grease etc. ....no point having spare cables Cylinders , bearings etc without these

Oh and lastly nuts and bolts gaffer and tie wraps ... Things fall off :lol:

Were off in 5 weeks can't wait be safe and have fun :D

Chris

after i broke a brake line, i now carry a length of cunifer and a flarer and fluid!

with all theses spares we carry wonder where most of us sleep when in our vans !

Latest posts