Top pulley recommendation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
With all shims removed my fan belt still seems a little loose and there is lots of black rubber dust on my alternator :shock:

Can anyone recommend a decent top pulley I can buy just in case it's that. Unfortunately not knowing much about vans not sure if I behave inherited OG or repro stuff.

Any help welcome

I have this one http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main.cgi?func=detail&artnr=22915a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
forget all the repro shit, they do not run round and are killing your alternator/generator bearings.

What else you got mate ,is your hardwear standard? and more info re "all shims removed" please, as you usually have shims added to give the belt its tension, when ,do you know/think belt was last renewed? do you have a dynamo/alternator fitted?

Try to find a stock one! I had an aftermarket one on my engine for about 200 miles - It tore the face plate off my alternator :(

As above, i have been running one of these for years and its perfect http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

easy said:
As above, i have been running one of these for years and its perfect http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

I've got me one of those, recommended by my engine builder. A nice piece of kit. VWH sell them. Only thing is you have to buy the shims separately, which is a bit of a surprise. You can't put the shims on the outer side of the pulley like an og set up, but you do needs spares. Keep them in the ash tray......

I AM gonna stick with this one , why are peeps advising this guy, to buy a ,n.other pulley when it is, on the face of it ? the situation is> >no shims fitted ?(which ,at least on my bus ,tensions up the belt ,if in fact that is so, then he can fit any amount of new/aftermarket pulley(s) he wants , will still have same result . i.e. slack belt. or am i /u missing something here ?as he has said " with all shims removed , belt is still slack" >ergo , fit a new belt , fit shims.

Surely if you want to slacken the tension you put shims between the plates to push them apart. They are also there to bring the track, for want of a better term, in line with the bottom pulley.

GIZ59 said:
I AM gonna stick with this one , why are peeps advising this guy, to buy a ,n.other pulley when it is, on the face of it ? the situation is> >no shims fitted ?(which ,at least on my bus ,tensions up the belt ,if in fact that is so, then he can fit any amount of new/aftermarket pulley(s) he wants , will still have same result . i.e. slack belt. or am i /u missing something here ?as he has said " with all shims removed , belt is still slack" >ergo , fit a new belt , fit shims.
I have an alternator and the belt is relatively new, 1000 miles or so.

I am confused as if you have shims installed surely the 'V' would be greater so the belt would be looser :? Or have I got that completely wrong?

I will be ordering the following from machine 7, unless others experience of this is bad :lol:

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12919&xSec=188

All comments welcome

GIZ59 said:

I think it may have something to do with this request in the original post........"Can anyone recommend a decent top pulley I can buy just in case it's that."

But you are absolutely correct. If he has no shims and the belt is still slack then it is most likely the belt thats knackered or the wrong size.

Curly, have you got a pic of the pulley? And maybe try buying a new correct belt before going to the expense of a new pulley ;)

yachty said:
GIZ59 said:

I think it may have something to do with this request in the original post........"Can anyone recommend a decent top pulley I can buy just in case it's that."

But you are absolutely correct. If he has no shims and the belt is still slack then it is most likely the belt thats knackered or the wrong size.

Curly, have you got a pic of the pulley? And maybe try buying a new correct belt before going to the expense of a new pulley ;)

I think I have the correctly sized belt! I am concerned about the pulley from previous comments as I have already had the inconvenience of a fried alternator so for the sake of 50 quid I might as well be cautious.

If this is a relatively new belt (not stretched) and I am at the furthest adjustment something is clearly wrong. Being a betting man I reckon due to a shit repro pulley.

I know I have holes in the tinware :msn4: will be sorted soon :lol:
image.jpg

I had a pulley 'explode' on me and left me stranded for quite a few hours as it took the alternator windings out too.
ensure you have the correct number of shims though. worth changing the belt first though.
I fitted a spin tru pulley and so far so good, :msn4:

is the crank pulley stock sized? or is it slightly smaller?

sjc said:
is the crank pulley stock sized? or is it slightly smaller?
Sorry but I don't know as I inherited the engine, how can I tell? :oops:

Can't wait to scrap the engine soon and build a proper one :lol:

of the top of my head the bottom pulley should be around 6 3/4 in diameter as stock if its smaller than that then that could be why you are having issues with slack belts

sjc said:
of the top of my head the bottom pulley should be around 6 3/4 in diameter as stock if its smaller than that then that could be why you are having issues with slack belts
Cheers, I will have a measure up.

Latest posts