Fan Belt

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing off the build of my new Autolinea engine. The set up has an alternator. The fan belt is loose (no shims), it has about an inch of play.

Belt is currently a FB 11.3 x 912La. It was fitted to my previous engine but that still had a little more play than the recommended 1/2 inch without shims.

I can find other belts as recommended by various web threads, such as 10 x 900 but they all are toothed belts. Question is, with todays technology and manufacturing standards does it really matter if I use a toothed belt?

Thanks.

gagvanman said:
I am in the process of finishing off the build of my new Autolinea engine. The set up has an alternator. The fan belt is loose (no shims), it has about an inch of play.

Belt is currently a FB 11.3 x 912La. It was fitted to my previous engine but that still had a little more play than the recommended 1/2 inch without shims.

I can find other belts as recommended by various web threads, such as 10 x 900 but they all are toothed belts. Question is, with todays technology and manufacturing standards does it really matter if I use a toothed belt?

Thanks.

Give the ‘Bearing Shop’ a ring, they’ll talk you through the availability’s etc and they have a decent rep for knowing their onions. Yours sounds well big for no shims. Not a 100% sure here, but it’s something like you can use a longer belt if it’s thicker because it rides further up in the pulleys so it’s not just about the length :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,tis complicated tint it :mrgreen:

gagvanman said:
Question is, with todays technology and manufacturing standards does it really matter if I use a toothed belt?
For our engines - it won't matter.

The toothed belts allow for tighter curves but that's not a problem here.

Alternator belt length
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=6428&share_tid=79618&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Eearlybay%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D79618&share_type=t&link_source=app

This thread may be useful. Fan belts length can vary with manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts