Alternator pulley wearing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew_leech

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has experienced the same. My bus had a billet Ali alternator pulley fitted. However the half that has the key way has worn grooves in. And now the 11.3 x 912 belt will not adjust up even with all the shims removed.

Is there any that are recommended?

Cheers

Matt

Is it definitely a billet one? I’ve heard of the cheap ones failing over time - and I speak from experience as mine also started to stretch and cut into the alternator. Fortunately I noticed it before the pulley failed altogether, but there’s plenty of pics I’ve seen of ones that have shattered completely. The billet ones are a lot more substantial, so I’d be interested to see pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkywig said:
don't overtighten the belt.

I've also read that over tightening the belt will wear the bearings on the Alternator / Dynamo, so yes, slack it off!

As a general rule , does it still hold where by if you can turn the belt 90 degree's between fore finger and thumb
then tension is just about spot on??
I ask this as this was a rule I was taught by my father back in the early 80'S.
This applied to our Beetle out in SA, so because of temp differences it might be wrong.
It might help.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
As a general rule , does it still hold where by if you can turn the belt 90 degree's between fore finger and thumb
then tension is just about spot on??
I ask this as this was a rule I was taught by my father back in the early 80'S.
This applied to our Beetle out in SA, so because of temp differences it might be wrong.
It might help.

J & P
:D :D :D

The correct Volkswagen method is a max of 10mm deflection between the 2 pulleys. But the 90 degree way works just as well.

Are you sure its a proper billet pulley like a Saco or CB Performance item? I've never seen 1 of those fail, even on race engines that turn over 7000 rpm. As said if you can source a genuine vw pulley thats your best bet on a stock or mild engine.

Latest posts