top things to look for when buying an early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Reaction score
Hey Guys .
What would be the top things that you should look for when buying an Early bay ?

I have seen one i like but don't want my heart to make the decision :? , would really appreciate your help as to what i should look out for when buying .

The list is endless really one of the best things you could do is take someone with you that has a good idea what to look for there is all the places that they rust but then there is also the case if the owner has bodged it up an not done repairs right an just used loads of filler an gave it a nice shiney coat of paint.

One of the best things you could do is buy imported as there no where near as rotten as uk buses

Hope that give you a little idea an puts you on the right track

Rob

Rob b said:
The list is endless really one of the best things you could do is take someone with you that has a good idea what to look for there is all the places that they rust but then there is also the case if the owner has bodged it up an not done repairs right an just used loads of filler an gave it a nice shiney coat of paint.

One of the best things you could do is buy imported as there no where near as rotten as uk buses

Hope that give you a little idea an puts you on the right track

Rob

Thanks buddy
:)

You have a really knowledgeable early bayer on your doorstep, drop slammedkustom a PM and see if hell take you through his outstanding bus by way of example(granted its been somewhat mod'd), he can only turn you down......

My tips would be

Original paint.... not shiney new
No mods.... you can do them yourself to your standard
Get someone who REALLY KNOWS what they are looking at to come with you. They wont have the same desire to buy as you will so they will be more inpartial.

If you have a garage in mind to do any work on your new bus for you, then you could ask them to inspect your potential new bus for you. Might cost a few quid but might also save you lots!!

Because Early Bays are have become more and more expensive to buy there are a lot of dodgy people out there jumping on the bandwaggon so BEWARE :(

as already said the list is endless but if you want to look yourself to see if its worth going any further ....start with the bottom six inche,s of the van all the way round youre looking for rust,rot and filler in the sills ,steps front skirt, rear corners,check the following
1..window screen bottom panel swage line {were the window wipers are}
2..front axle and were it bolts to the chassis
3..front chassis legs
4..front x member
5..underside of the front steps
6..front wheel arches underneath and inside the cab lift the carpet look at the front floor pan inside
7..bottoms of the doors
8..sliding door bottom and the bottm chanel it runs in
9..rear wheel arches
10.. rear doors
11..battery trays and rear chassis legs
12.. engine ,does it have one, does it run ,is the oil clean, any signs of it being looked after,
13 gutters, pop top if it has one
14..paperwork, history,bills and reciepts how long have they had the van ? why are they selling it ?
now this is just a basic check list to give you somewhere to start so you can sort the wheat from the chaff, if the following check out okay then you can get someone who knows these vans to give it a good looking at
happy hunting ... :mrgreen:

gee said:
as already said the list is endless but if you want to look yourself to see if its worth going any further ....start with the bottom six inche,s of the van all the way round youre looking for rust,rot and filler in the sills ,steps front skirt, rear corners,check the following
1..window screen bottom panel swage line {were the window wipers are}
2..front axle and were it bolts to the chassis
3..front chassis legs
4..front x member
5..underside of the front steps
6..front wheel arches underneath and inside the cab lift the carpet look at the front floor pan inside
7..bottoms of the doors
8..sliding door bottom and the bottm chanel it runs in
9..rear wheel arches
10.. rear doors
11..battery trays and rear chassis legs
12.. engine ,does it have one, does it run ,is the oil clean, any signs of it being looked after,
13 gutters, pop top if it has one
14..paperwork, history,bills and reciepts how long have they had the van ? why are they selling it ?
now this is just a basic check list to give you somewhere to start so you can sort the wheat from the chaff, if the following check out okay then you can get someone who knows these vans to give it a good looking at
happy hunting ... :mrgreen:

Thanks for that valuable information its much appreciated :D

no worrys pal just dont want you too buy a peach,..that turns out to be a lemon......that is actually two lemons fussed together..... :lol:

if it looks anything like THIS:
181769_10150090090055547_512455546_6293179_7063927_n.jpg

walk away!

AGC said:
My tips would be

Original paint.... not shiney new
No mods.... you can do them yourself to your standard
Get someone who REALLY KNOWS what they are looking at to come with you. They wont have the same desire to buy as you will so they will be more inpartial.

If you have a garage in mind to do any work on your new bus for you, then you could ask them to inspect your potential new bus for you. Might cost a few quid but might also save you lots!!

Because Early Bays are have become more and more expensive to buy there are a lot of dodgy people out there jumping on the bandwaggon so BEWARE :(

Totally agree with this except dont shy away from a shiney new paint job as they can be very well restored and not everyone is dodgy! ;) 8)

Agree with easy, shiney paint doesnt mean its hiding anything just look at some of the restos in the gallery section. Obviously one thats well documented with plenty of pictures and receipts is a huge plus.
Do as much research as you can and ask as many questions as poss, always someone on here to offer advise ;) and more often than not buying a bus from a fellow enthusiast on this forum is a safe bet.

Maybe too sweeping a statement re shiney :oops: , so I agree that if you can see photographic evidence that the job has been done properly then shiney would be ok :D

1. Make sure its a left hand drive US import.
2. Make sure its a genuine Westfalia.

Thats it. :lol:

Seriously, there are hardly any hard and fast rules, its what ever you are after. OG paint will show you whats what, but that may be too scruffy or vulnerable for you - a restored/painted van may suit you better. A van that is up, running and on the road at least gives you a starting point. Find a van and ask on here for specific advice or a local to check it with you? Id say avoid the long term eBay rhd projects, and if a van is too cheap, its for a reason!

Well guys thanks for all your help but the guy who was going to sell me his bus has pulled out :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I AM GUTTED !!!!!

he said after talking to his wife and a few sleepless nights he has decided against it , he would only regret it .

i had the shipping all sorted and everything

SAD SAD :cry:

Back to the search :(

Good thread,

I am in the same boat when it comes to looking at a bus.
Could one of the experienced members perhaps list a definitive checklist of things to look at or check that newbies could perhaps print off upon viewing a possible purchase?
It may prevent possible tears later.

In my experience it's best to buy the most og and complete bus as possible because it's all the little bits that really add up ;) it's easy to loose sight sometimes when you have a shell in front of you, but that shell will need a lot of bits and pieces

Chris

Latest posts