Tow bar

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-J

Reaction score
Anybody got any good recommendations for tow bars. Looking for one for our '71 bay. Wondering if anybody had the JustKampers one as it's on offer at the moment. I don't like the look of some of these with the big heavy tube at the back as the bumper sticks out too far for my liking.

cheers

Mark

I fitted the JK J11369 version for the 71-72 van some years ago - fits well, works well, lasts well...the removable tow ball makes it easy to bolt on bike carriers or other tow plates - the tow bar is easy to remove/replace when there's an engine out job - works well with stock exhaust set up, dunno about other exhaust systems. only small minor problem when fitting was that one of the bolt holes did not quite align with the tapped screw hole in the vertical part of the chassis girder - just needed a little filing to make it work. also, I have not used the central upstanding tab on the tow bar which is meant to bolt into the rear valance member as this would have meant drilling new holes through the valance and it did not seem structurally necessary to do this anyway!
hope that helps
cheers
rob

Mark,
I have a JK style towbar made by Watling Engineers.

As Rob says it is ideal if you want to bolt on bike rack adaptor plates etc.
I did however use the angle iron section which bolts to the rear valence. This section has 2 mounting holes at each end which line up with the bolts which hold the removable valence in place. My bus, Jan 71 build, has only one bolt at each end. I understand that this is a one year only feature & I can't really see much harm in only fitting one bolt at each end.

A change in my plans means that this is now for sale.
It is complete with towball & electrics.
£50 + post or collect from Rugby. I can check courier prices if you're interested.

I'll post this in for sale if not.

Phil.

Thanks guys, Phil I don't suppose you have any pics you could mail? Definitely interested

How / where does the tow bar brackets fit onto ?
Do u have to drill or weld or do they fit onto pre existing holes... I have no idear?

Mark,
Here are a few pics I took this morning.

Far left/right brackets bolt into existing captive nuts welded into the rear chassis rail. Upper angle iron bolts to rear valence mounting bolts you can see in Sparkywig's pics.

Let me know if you're interested. It weighed in @ 20kg.

Phil.

Phil, I like the idea of the JK one best, I really don't want to have to have the bumper pushed out just to incorporate the bar. However if you've got it for a 71/72 crossover I'm wondering if that would still fit a '71 with the curly bumper? If it does I'll have it. Think I'd fit the angle iron to the valance but spray it the same colour of the van so it's less obvious.

this is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.justkampers.com/towbar-for-vw-t2-bays-with-standard-exhaust-1967-1971.html

cheers

Mark

We're up off J23 M1, you're Rugby way aren't you, maybe I could pop down one evening to collect?

shiplee123 said:
How / where does the tow bar brackets fit onto ?
Do u have to drill or weld or do they fit onto pre existing holes... I have no idear?

shiplee123 said:
Looks ov the pics it the bumper brackets yes ?

The early bay rear bumpers brackets have been modified to carry a split bus rear bumper by cutting off and re-welding the bumper supports at a different angle and have been shortened as well.
They've also been strengthened and a plate added to mount the bumper bar.
Both the bumper bar and attachment plate have been drilled and tapped for the mounting bolts.
It all bolts together in about 10 minutes and sits closer to the rear of the bus than a standard bumper.

I really like that sparkywig , when I sort out my next bus I plan on a tow bar , well with three kids we r gonna need a trailer I think
I may have to come back for a bit more advice when the time comes

Oh and yes your bus does look n clean chap ;)

i'm trying to understand how to mount the JK trailer on my 71 bus , so it seems that is not possible like RePhil say on the top ... :(

Hi sparkywig. I’ve just bought a towbar that looks remarkably like yours. Is there anything missing off mine? I have a 69 bay. I see the bar you have looks right and the brackets I have are right, I’m just not sure if this is a mixup of parts or brackets missing. Many thanks in advance

Hi sparkywig. I’ve just bought a towbar that looks remarkably like yours. Is there anything missing off mine? I have a 69 bay. I see the bar you have looks right and the brackets I have are right, I’m just not sure if this is a mixup of parts or brackets missing. Many thanks in advance
I made mine myself, so I wouldn't compare it to anything else.

Latest posts