Tracker should I fit one?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my chinese ebay purchase turned up today, looks a good bit of kit, all sorts of extra bits to get wired in eventually, just need a sim...

might jump in on the last to fit race, no major hurdles, im just slack. :lol:

I got a Chinese one has arrived too. I'm gonna have a go at fitting it tomorrow. Just pos+neg for now. Other features can wait.

Also sorted and O2 sim card on PAYG that auto tops up. Quite a new feature from O2 so I will keep an eye on it for now. It should (!) credit itself with £10 directly from my bank account when my balance reaches £2...

Watch this space...

Jim

That sim sounds good, and just what I need for mine, where did you get it? In store or online? Was it free for the sim?

Ordered PAYG sim free online from O2. When it arrives a couple of days later, put sim in a phone so it registers as active. Then register yourself an account online on O2 with the mobile number. Then you can set it up to Auto Top Up.

You can also check remaining credit on-line aswell so you don't have to put sim in a phone and check. Handy.

Not sure if other operators offer a similar system, but expect they do in the interests of competition...

Jim

I bought 2 in the end. One for the motorhome and one for the bay. Fitted the one in the motorhome already no problem as it was quick and easy to hide it all away under a locker. Going it give the install a little more thought with the bay.

Hiya, i'm looking at getting a tracker and i know some of you have the CGmart one and the others have possibly Skytag. One question i have is on the Skytag one it has a back up battery, does the CG mart have a battery back up or is there a way of connecting it to a small one so if the main camper battery lead is disconnected you don't lose signal?? Cheers :?:

Sydney1 said:
Hi.The Cgmart one has a backup battery built in.Not sure if it is a rechargeable or not.Suggest it isnt

Its a rechargable 3.7v 800mAh Li-ion to be exact :p

Couldn't say for sure, but I'd expect it to last a few days when 12v power is disconnected...

Jim

PS. Started fitting mine tonight. No issues yet. Still need to learn all the text codes though. Lots of features to get my head around!

the_troupster said:
Sydney1 said:
Hi.The Cgmart one has a backup battery built in.Not sure if it is a rechargeable or not.Suggest it isnt

Its a rechargable 3.7v 800mAh Li-ion to be exact :p

Couldn't say for sure, but I'd expect it to last a few days when 12v power is disconnected...

Jim

PS. Started fitting mine tonight. No issues yet. Still need to learn all the text codes though. Lots of features to get my head around!

i intend to save all the codes on my phone as templates so i cant just send without having to think.

antoine said:
i intend to save all the codes on my phone as templates so i cant just send without having to think.
Good thinkin! :)

On another note, as i've never used a paygo sim before.....do you have to top up the sim on a regular basis for it to remain active ??
I'd presume they require a certain amount of usage else how would the phone company make money?
I've heard stories that if you dont top up within 90 days you get disconnected... :?: :?: :?:

:?

I was told it has to be topped up at least every 4 years. But to keep it active you need to send and receive a call or message every 90 days.

Please remember to turn off it's voicemail before installing it though. Just learnt that nugget the hard way...

Jim

Been a while now, since these were purchased.
Anyone who fitted these recently, can you recommend a good sim, as i will be fitting mine shortly.
Can't seem to find a decent sim to use.
So Just wondered what sim people are using for theirs?

....Feel the love!

As above...

Was able to track the Ex on a weekend away recently. I'm not paranoid or stalking her or owt... :lol:

Even tells me the speed (or lack of, traffic jams!)

Jim

well ive ploughed through all the info left by everyone and i have just purchased on fleabay one of the chinese
units. TBH its a no brainer :)

Birdman said:
I finally got round to fitting my CGMART tracker last week. Well worth the money!

what sim are you using , i m not sure who to use :)

After much investigation, i think I've found the ideal sim.
Asda do a sim, and as long as it is used at least once within 90 days there is no need to top up.
And a top up card can be acquired from any store, sync it with your sim then just top up over the counter when you do your shopping. Job done!
Texts cost 6p per text.
Check it out at asda.com

I've just ordered mine ready for fitment once this rain decides to piss orf!! :)

....Feel the love!

betsy70 said:
Birdman said:
I finally got round to fitting my CGMART tracker last week. Well worth the money!

I'm using an O2 sim that was included in the deal with CGMART. Does the job perfectly

Birdman said:
betsy70 said:
Birdman said:

I'm using an O2 sim that was included in the deal with CGMART. Does the job perfectly

Top up every month? Or quarterly?

....Feel the love!

Latest posts