twinport head swap shopping list help...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint_golfer

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I'm looking to build myself a 1600 TP bassed on my spare 1600 SP. Its basically complete with all the SP tin and ancillaries etc. I think all I need is a pair of TP heads, the TP manifolds and the bits of TP tin theat cover the top of the heads. Is that correct?

Also can I use any TP heads? i.e. are 1300 heads the same as 1600 heads? GSF only list one size of inlet and exhaust valves (albeit with two stem size options) for 1300cc>1600cc aircooled engines upto about 1976 so im thinking they are.

Any pointers would be great thanks :)

I have no idea about the head sizes, but assuming your fan housing has an in house oil cooler, it would be a good idea to go dog house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

should have said that I've also got a brand new cooler, dog house tin and a new stand to fit the cooler to the block so sorted in that respect. thanks though.

The doghouse tinware needs a thicker fan too. :)

The bit of tin that goes over the gearbox is different, as it has the outlet for the doghouse cooler heat. You also need the 2 bits of tin that go behind the doghouse cooler.

Tofufi said:
The doghouse tinware needs a thicker fan too. :)

The bit of tin that goes over the gearbox is different, as it has the outlet for the doghouse cooler heat. You also need the 2 bits of tin that go behind the doghouse cooler.

I wondered what those bits of tin were, I think I've got them sat in a morrisons bag hung on the garage door! :lol: only the one piece of over box tin though so it looks like I'll be taking the grinder to it :roll:

Your thicker fan comment might explain why the fan on my spare alternator was scraping on the normal SP fan housing when I tried to fit it. cant measure it up though as my dyno/fan got refitted to cure the problem.

J14343-2_2.jpg

Where the lowest seal is on the exhaust piece is where it passes through the over-gearbox tin. The proper over-gearbox tin is 'rare', so I made from by welding together a SP Bay window one and a TP Beetle one
:)

Tofufi said:
J14343-2_2.jpg

Where the lowest seal is on the exhaust piece is where it passes through the over-gearbox tin. The proper over-gearbox tin is 'rare', so I made from by welding together a SP Bay window one and a TP Beetle one
:)

It looks like the bits I have although a darn sight less rusty! I've got a feeling that the very end but furthest from the cooler is different though. The tin I got came with a SP engine from a guy into beetles so it might have been chopped about to suit, still not sure why he had a mix of SP tin and DP tin but it all comes in handy I guess!

Back to my original post however, it seems you need to flycut 1300cc DP heads to be able to mate them to 1600cc barrels so I guess all the beetle shaped bargain motors from ebay will have to be passed on :(

Why go twin port when single port is a good engine anyway just a thought , if you want sum to heads I got sum auto linear ones in the garage not bent or cracked etc , came of a running engine

Latest posts