Tyre clearance problems on my crossover!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattschnerka

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just replaced the complete front arches on my crossover with the early arches without the lip. I'm currently running BRM's with 185/65/15 tyres and now I have some clearance issues! The tyres will catch the inside lip of the arch when I'm pothole hunting! My beam is lowered on adjusters but not narrowed. I see my options as either running narrower tyres or investing in a narrowed beam. I like the stance as it is so winding the adjusters back up isn't something I want to do if I can help it. Clearance was fine with the original lipped arches.
Just wondered what you guys would recommend!? :)

P.s: I would go and take a photo to post up but it's raining pretty hard out there!

Thanks
Matt

I guess your only options are fit 175 tyres on the BRM's or standard 14" rims. The BRMs have a low ET, which puts the wheel closer to the arch. The standard rims are about a 37ET, and the BRM's, dependent upon make are usually about a 20ET.

Can you pull the arch to relieve it a bit ?

Thanks for the quick replies.
All was fine with the lipped arches before, I guess either pulling the arch slightly or maybe taking as much as I can off the inner lip might help!
I could do with some new tyres soon so I think some narrower ones are a good shout! Thanks again for the advice. :)

Matt

I've got 185/65/15 on the front and clearance is fine, although I have raised the front slightly.

Image029.jpg

Sparkywig, my stance is almost identical to yours, (bus!), would the track be slightly wider on mine as its a '72 with disks?

Ianscooby, the wheels were on when I bought it so no idea whose version they are! Is there a way of telling?

Cheers,
Matt

mattschnerka said:
Sparkywig, my stance is almost identical to yours, (bus!), would the track be slightly wider on mine as its a '72 with disks?

Ianscooby, the wheels were on when I bought it so no idea whose version they are! Is there a way of telling?

Cheers,
Matt

not sure, I do know however that the do different offsets, I've seen as wide as 205's on a early nut mine will not aloow anything other than 175's

ianscooby said:
mattschnerka said:

Cheers,
Matt

not sure, I do know however that the do different offsets, I've seen as wide as 205's on a early nut mine will not aloow anything other than 175's
I should stop drinking the pinot :bottle:, or at least stop posting after a bottle, sorry fingers working quicker than the old grey matter at this time of night after a bottle.

the track is slightly wider on 71> busses very slightly coupled with the offset as already mentioned.......

mattschnerka said:

Cheers,
Matt

Araon said:
the track is slightly wider on 71> busses very slightly coupled with the offset as already mentioned.......

There you go...... :)

Latest posts