Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was bored at the weekend, so started the porsche 911 engine fit i've been putting off for months (years) :shock:

First up fit the modifed porsche/VW hydrid flywheel
porscheengine002.jpg

Then grind a few bits off the spare gearbox bell housing to miss the clutch release plate.
porscheengine003.jpg

Old engine out
porscheengine006.jpg

It really didnt look like it would fit in the hole
porscheengine014.jpg

But it did :mrgreen:
porscheengine015.jpg

Exhaust just quickly put on to see how it looks, not bad for 3 hours work :mrgreen:
porscheengine024.jpg

Next need to sort out a rear engine mount and fit the oil tank
porscheengine034.jpg

did you not have cut any of the engine bay out at all?

How much fab work is needed for the valance?

Looks fantastic by the way :)

Uber - cracking thread and the Porsche engine work done so far looks bang on 8)

Like Ant asked - much grinding done in the engine bay :?:

ant said:

I couldnt believe it absolutely no engine bay mods. Me and my mate where convinced with both engines side by side we would have to hack the chassis rails etc. If I would have needf to do this project would have been off, I very much want to minimize any bodywork mods.

All we did was remove the old engine, relieve the bell housing and fit the porsche engine, So pub myth is true. :shock: However fitting in the hole and runing are 2 different things! :roll:

I will need to fab a rear engine hanger. The rear valance will need the curved bit cut off, but I bought a knackered one at a show this year for a £5 ( bargain or what :shock: ) So I wont even butcher the original one.

The only thing that I might need is a hole for is the oil tank to go where the battery sits.

To be honest we spent more time staring at it with big grins on our faces, than it took it fit. To say i'm stoked would be an understatement.

uber cool said:
ant said:

To be honest we spent more time staring at it with big grins on our faces, than it took it fit. To say i'm stoked would be an understatement.
8) 8) 8)

fantastic job mate. can you in some way utilise your og engine mounts and make a bracket to bolt the 911 engine in. then you will need even less mods. i used some v8 land rover engine mounts from ebay that fit beutifully onto the og mounts, then you can simply build the engine bar of them.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1593&start=280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the picks of my engine bar are somewhere on there.

Andy- Good idea, although I do have 2 more cylinders ahead of the mount, so it will have to come forward. But it would make for a neat install?

porscheengine026.jpg

Good work uber! A nice winter project :)

Just a thought... Do you need to use the OG oil tank (looks big/bulky), or could you use a more compact one?

Have a look at my old engine bar held the porsche motor up on standard mounts no probs,
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8148&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,
Nelly ;)

Nelly said:
Have a look at my old engine bar held the porsche motor up on standard mounts no probs,
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8148&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,
Nelly ;)
Thanks for that, what silencer did you have on it in these photos?

It was one i bought in kit form from L.A.Performance,
Just tell Lee where you want the holes and he'll send you a blank box and some pipe for about £100 ish,
he also does stainless steel now same as i've just fitted to my bus :)

nelly's mounts are the crossover mounts but that is pretty much how i was sugesting to do yours as it will give a neater look when you trims the rear valence in it wil pretty much hide the whole bar. the other way i have seen was a french bloke who altered the two trianglular bits either side of the engine bay that the valence screws into, he sunk the og porsche mounts into there. it looked the part but i think the other way is a lot easier.

Been busy this week with the engine mount at the rear . First attempt to use the original mounts. Made a C shaped section to go from the original mounts to the engine case support near the crank pulley. However without having the crossover gearbox mount this puts a lot of weight on the rear. So after 2 days of work, the bloody things just dropped to the floor when we took the trolley jack away. :evil:

So back to the drawing board, Version 2 was born after a bit if head scratching and a few brews. Since I have westy towbar which mounts with 4 x M10 bolts to the ends of the chassis rails the idea was borne to have the mounts fastened to this.

So we made 2 brackets on the tow bar, a long bar across the engine with rubber mounts on each end, see pics below. The photo doesnt show it too well but the brackets are 2" angle iron, with the upright edge shaped and welded around the tow bar tube.

porscheengine037.jpg

porscheengine038.jpg

porscheengine039.jpg

porscheengine035.jpg

I need to add more strength to the bar and extra ribs or plates where the bar meets the OG pulley bracket. Benefit of this is that its all hidden when the valance is fitted.

Next test fit of the rear valance, I cut some correx board to the rough shape to clear the engine, then tranferrred this to the valance and cut out. First test fit looks good.
porscheengine043.jpg

porscheengine042.jpg

porscheengine041.jpg

porscheengine046.jpg

porscheengine045.jpg

Next need to add more ribs and finish off the engine brace and tidy up the rear valance.

Nelly, that's funny I've just been reading your updates and posted a similar comment.

Only problem using the towbar is that I cant now fit the OG porsche exhaust, :cry: as it wont clear the towbar. But then again it was a huge big ugly thing. :lol: So looks like it will have to be a custom exhaust system.

Next is the oil tank and pipe work.

Very clever solution to use the tow bar bracket - means your stuck with it though :?

I did think that, but to be honest I spent 6 months searching for the towbar and use it to either to tow a small trailer on holiday, tip runs etc, or my Bay trailer, once this is finished. :roll:
camper68026.jpg

So in reality I'm never going to get rid of the towbar, Also it means no body mods!

With regard to the oil tank are you going to fit the porsche one or a neater after market one?

Nelly said:
With regard to the oil tank are you going to fit the porsche one or a neater after market one?
Note sure, really dont want to hack a hole in the battery tray. But do I need to have the bottom of the tank level with the pipe out of the rear of the oil cooler? That is if it was higher than the engine would it drain the oil back into the sump when switched off.

The easier option is to use the porsche tank as if baffled, and has a place fot the oil filter. But then again could buy an after market baffled tank and remote filter. But the only aftermarket tanks I can find are huge tall cylinders, which I dont thnk would fit.

What did you do?

I fitted the porsche one but its very tight and you need to cut more than the tray and getting to the lights is a nightmare,
I'd go after market root with remote filter, you can get them made quite cheaply if you shop around i'll see if i can find some contact details of someone tomorrow for :)