ULEZ LEZ and other London acronyms...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierrox

Reaction score
I don't post much here but I've had an account for years, having a 1971 Westy, it's always been a great source of info.
I also happen to be from the other side of the (tiny) pond : la France, this country where anything can be sorted with police tear gas... This summer, we plan to spend some time in the UK, wife willing to spend some time in a country speaking a language close to hers - she's from North Carolina. Anyway, long story short, we want to drive with our VW bus. We'll spend some time in London too - where we'll park.

Now I was aware of the CC zone since it's been around for nearly 20 years. I had no idea that since then a ULEZ and a LEZ popped up on the area. I registered with TFL, having spent a long time trying to figure out their very unfriendly website. Turns out I can drive freely in the ULEZ, being a vehicle over 40 years of age and having submitted my registration papers to EPC - took 15 minutes to get approved, only took a form and a copy of the bus' french paperwork. But on TFL, it still appears as having to pay for the LEZ - which, very inconveniently, is wider than the ULEZ. So I registered for LEZ then, which turned out to be an even less friendly process (fill a pdf and then mail it and expect 10 days before you get a reply), and I don't even know if they'll approve it.

So here's my question : in your experience, are our VW buses allowed to drive in the LEZ? Or they don't give a f**k that those are 40 years old vans which CAN drive in the ULEZ? Had an online chat with the help dept at TFL and the guy had no clue on the subject and could just tell me to register with the LEZ people.

I try and stay away from places .like London . I’ve no idea of any of these schemes I’m afraid, as it’s been the best part of a decade or more since I’ve been there and paid for the CC zone thingy in my daily car. Hopefully, someone more local will pop along and know a little more.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, we’re getting them in Bristol too :(

I thought a 40 yr old vehicle was exempt from all charges?
It’s French registered I assume? Id assume that would make the whole thing a bit easier as they may not be arsed chasing a foreign registered van anyway?

And, yeah, you won’t want to drive it about much. In, out and use public transport when you can is my advice.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions

Last edited:
I think since they don't have access to much info from outside, so their software defaults to "must pay" and it's a case of "you prove us wrong then". But in my experience, they've built an efficient network to find you and make you pay for the Congestion Charge across Europe (unless Brexit changed it). Which has always been surprising because when you get a "regular" ticket, they don't follow up. So I don't want to take a chance on this.

i live in SE London, just outside the CC but inside the ULEZ and LEZ and have a 1971 bay, a 2010 VW polo and a Honda 125 scooter
CC - no exemptions except for residents living within the CC, so you have to pay if you enter the zone. All roads in are camera monitored. Times of operation have changed recently, now 7-18.00 weekdays and 12-18.00 at weekends. Our car is registered with TFL for autopay, slightly cheaper and you don’t have to worry about forgetting to pay by midnight the following day. I rarely stray into it in the van. Scooters and motorbikes can‘t be monitored because they have no front number plates and so are by default exempt……..so far
ULEZ - correct, a vehicle registered as historic ie >40 yrs old is exempt
LEZ - only applies to older diesel vehicles, see link for details https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/terms-and-conditions/pay-to-drive-in-london
Both the ULEZ and LEZ are monitored by roving cameras mounted on cars + the CC cameras should a vehicle enter the CC

Hope this helps

Thanks for the diesel explanation. Now I get why the LEZ form only had 2 boxes: "Diesel" and "Other".
Will let you know what happens!

Latest posts