Unstable timing with 123 dissy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olly the Ozbus

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’ve got a bit of a niggle under the bonnet (1600 type 1 lump) and wondered if any of you could shed some light on it? The last couple of times I’ve set the timing I’ve noticed that it isn’t particularly stable - it probably flicks by a couple of degrees every so often – which I thought might have been due to a vacuum leak somewhere. I’ve got a 123 dissy so the timing should be rock solid…! Now I’ve just replaced the manifold boots as one had perished and I thought that this might have helped but I’ve just checked with the strobe and the timing is still a bit unstable. Doing the spray test I can’t find any leaks in the manifold system but is this symptom a sign of a leak or could something else be at fault like the coil or leads? By the way, this problem refers to the timing at idle with vac line removed- haven't yet checked at high revs/max advance but figured something ain't right regardless!

Any help gratefully received, cheers oracle,

Olly

Hiya,

How long have you had the 123? And where did you buy it from? Dan who's built my new motor has fitted me a 123, (he's also the uk main dealer for these) and he's a dab hand at setting them up, might be a idea to ring him :)

+44 1304 812741

68_early_bay said:
Hiya,

How long have you had the 123? And where did you buy it from? Dan who's built my new motor has fitted me a 123, (he's also the uk main dealer for these) and he's a dab hand at setting them up, might be a idea to ring him :)

+44 1304 812741

ta mate, I'm scratching my head but I think I've had it a 2-3 years, and I got it from volksbolts through VZi when he was still selling them. Cheers for the heads up and it may be worth checking whether he's seen this type of thing before :)

Don't know where I read this, but could be a sticky valve if it happens at low speed but clears with a few more revs. Not very helpful perhaps , but worth doing an internet search on it

I have a 123 dizzy with the same problem. When ticking over with a timing light on the marks the strobe jumps about and the van runs lumpy when driven. I swapped the dizzy over to a std vac dizzy with electronic points and it runs spot on. The 123 dizzy is around 4 years old. I got it from Southern .

Latest posts