Upper Balljoint Boot Question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggles

Reaction score
I noticed whilst doing the front brakes on the van that one of the upper ball joint boots has come out from its bottom clip and slid up the shaft. The rubber is still in good condition with no tears and the retaining ring clip is still there. The joint seems good with no apparent wear or problems. Is there any simple way of sorting this and putting in more grease without mucking up the wheel alignment. All the joints were replaced a couple of years back.

Hi Raggles
Had the same problem with our bus, managed to get some grease under the rubber with my fingers, then clean the grease off the rubber boot and the groove where the spring clip fits then managed to fit the rubber in the groove and open the spring clip and fit it over the rubber, bit fiddely but got there in the end, if you need a new boot and spring JK do one part number JK No. J14211
hope this helps
PS if you leave it as it is (which i'm sure you wont) it will fail the MOT

vinvan said:
Hi Raggles
Had the same problem with our bus, managed to get some grease under the rubber with my fingers, then clean the grease off the rubber boot and the groove where the spring clip fits then managed to fit the rubber in the groove and open the spring clip and fit it over the rubber, bit fiddely but got there in the end, if you need a new boot and spring JK do one part number JK No. J14211
hope this helps
PS if you leave it as it is (which i'm sure you wont) it will fail the MOT

Thanks vinvan,

I will give it a go and see how I fare ... I think getting grease in will be necessary to push the skirt of the boot down as currently it wants to stay right up at the top. Comforting to know you managed it without taking the thing apart.

You don't NEED to use the original clip- they're a real swine to get on, so I normally replace them with locking wire, twisted & with the tail out of the way.

Latest posts