US Spec Indicators

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishart

Reaction score
My indicators all work fine, but they really are dim. In the front there are amber bulbs with a clear lense, and at the back they are inside the reverse lights with small amber bulbs. The back ones are pathetic really, but i do like them in the reverse lenses. What can I do to "brighten" them up?

New OG bulbs?

Uprated bulbs?

The only other thing is the green indicator signals on the fuel guage dont work - all the other lights come on apart from these - dodgy connection? blown bulbs? The fuel guage is a bit shit too as it vibrates between empty and full constantly :lol:

I'd be checking the earths are good at all points and make sure the bases where the bulbs seat are also shiny and making good contact, it sounds like there is a slight resistance, unless of course the bulbs are a lower than they should be wattage?

what are the reflectors like - I have had success with 'chrome' enamel paint from DIY stores...........

the front lenses are clean enough i think - i guess the reflector part could do with a clean to see what difference it makes. It does appear to be just the bulb thats visible when it flashes, ie. it doesnt light up the whole lense. Same with the rear/reverse lenses. It looks almost dark so maybe these could do with a clean too.

I will go round checking all the connections and earths for good measure.

I cant decide if its a low voltage problem or a 'dirty' problem.... i guess the above checks will get me the answer ;)

thanks

Wishart said:
the front lenses are clean enough i think - i guess the reflector part could do with a clean to see what difference it makes. It does appear to be just the bulb thats visible when it flashes, ie. it doesnt light up the whole lense. Same with the rear/reverse lenses. It looks almost dark so maybe these could do with a clean too.

I cant decide if its a low voltage problem or a 'dirty' problem.... i guess the above checks will get me the answer ;)

thanks

the lenses don't really clean all that well I found - although hopefully someone will have a foolproof way - I just made them duller! so sprayed them in the end and they work fine now.......

dubdubz said:
Wishart said:

thanks

the lenses don't really clean all that well I found - although hopefully someone will have a foolproof way - I just made them duller! so sprayed them in the end and they work fine now.......

its worth a go... :D

I have a US bus with the same setup. Sorry for the salt but mine works fine and bright.
Time to get the AVO out and measure voltage at the wires. Test resistance to earth. All that. Clean the shit out of the bulb carriers with wd40 and wire wool. Until the earth contact is shiny. Do one side as best you can then compare to the other. Also do comparisons with the lense off. You can see the bulb better.
Side note. US spec front indicators have running lights and twin element bulbs. If you still have these make sure the indicator is plugged into the brighter element.

I had the exact same problem with my indicators not being very bright on my bus, when i removed the lenses i noticed all the reflective/silver stuff had turned a yellow colour. So I got some adhesive reflective tape from a builders merchants thats used to stick the silver foil loft insulation stuff together and stuck it all over the front and rear bulb carriers to make it reflect the light better. Job done work like they should now.

Hiya Wis,

Wishart said:
.........The only other thing is the green indicator signals on the fuel guage dont work - all the other lights come on apart from these - dodgy connection? blown bulbs? The fuel guage is a bit shit too as it vibrates between empty and full constantly :lol:

That the both green indicator lights do not function is a sign of two very likely occurrences.............

1. You have a faulty flasher unit. This is almost certainly the case if you still have the original flasher unit.

2. The blue/green wire from the KBL lead on the flasher has become disconnected in its run to the indicator lights.

3. There are, of course, other possibilities such as burnt out bulbs. But the two above are your most likely culprits.

The fuel gauge is supposed to be "dampened" by an anti-vibrator unit. Check to make sure yours is in place and functioning.

And FWIW, I do agree with the others who have already advised cleaning ALL (yes, that means bulbs, male and female spade connectors and earthing contact points) contacts and using aluminum reflective tape to rehab the chrome bulb surrounds. It's a lot of tedious little work, but worth every minute spent.

Latest posts