Van starting... electrical issue?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amoledigginginahole

Reaction score
Afternoon folks, I have a puzzle for you. I was all set to head out for the long weekend in the camper, got everything loaded, went to start the van and... nothing!

My van has a push-button ignition, so you turn the key (the red & green lights come on), then push the ignition and the lights go out but the engine doesnt turn over. The lights then stay out, almost like something has 'tripped', and I can only get them to come on again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? I cant think what part of the system would trip like this, it cant be a fuse because once that blows it would be out for good...

I've checked the starter motor, by shorting the connection between the solenoid and the motor, and it runs fine, so dont think that's failed (though I'm no expert, happy to be corrected on this).

Thanks in advance!

Hi just a thought but id check all the main feed connections at the battery, stater motor and fuseboard. I recently had an intermittant fault where everything went dead,turned out to be a faulty connection on the battery positive loom where its crimped. It was less than a year old,most annoying. Bought new battery positve terminal and made my own one up,no probs now. Prior to this i once had corroded connection at the starter motor,again remade connection, now ok.check easy things first.
Hope this helps.

the starter should be on the key, someone must have rewired it because the switch was worn. check for wires under the van and make sure there not shorting or loose.
the ignition switch might be knackered

Ok, I have a good 12.5V feed at the solenoid post, and at the fuse-box in the cab. However when I turn the ignition on (but dont push the starter, so effectively dont turn the ignition all the way on), I lose all voltage at the solenoid. I'm guessing this isnt right, and I have a short somewhere in the ignition switch wiring?

I had this exact same fault just before Xmas, oil and battery light on, turn key and click then nothing. Would have to wait for 10-15mins then try again.

For me it was a combination of issues.

Firstly I had loose battery connections, remedied through fitting nylock nuts. :shock:
Secondly the split charge relay was sticking and killing the power. :oops:
Thirdly the battery was very low, think this upset the split charge relay. :roll:

I charged the battery up, tightened the connections and the bus fired up.

The battery connections felt secure to me in the dark and I couldn't see how loose they had got, also a little water had got through the air vents (too keen with the jet washer) and caused a short so had to dry that out. Wasn't a happy week for me!

Check the main fees to the ignition switch, thick red and white wire I think.
Mind came lose on Monday ant the ignition circuit was totally dead. The connector needs replacing on mine. Yours might be similar.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts