Vehicle Trackers - Possible new source - PRICE EDITED!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Following on from this thread:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a contact in the tracking industry. We are looking at becoming a distributor for a UK designed and manufactured tracker that has had great success with fleet and plant applications and I would like to gauge some interest from you guys and hear some opinions.

Here are some loose numbers for a Pay as you go unit on the Orange network. I say PAYG, which it is to some extent, but its on a rolling 3 month contract, so you pay for 3 months at a time. The reason for this is because it is a professional unit with a backup and a support service from the manufacturer, they need a little bit of commitment to fund the call-out vans driving around the UK. The unit is approved by some insurers - mentioning the tracker may save you money on your premium which could off-set the cost of the tracker rental - so in-effect the tracker could end up costing you nothing each month.

£17.00 rental a month (Orange Sim) / on a 3-month contract.
£95.00 one-off professional fitting.
Edit: I had the pricing wrong

Great opportunity for a group purchase which will bring the initial one-off cost down.

The only issue is, the unit MUST be fitted by a professional which at first I was sceptical about, but thinking about it further - most guys buses are worth from 6-20k, not to mention all the money and time spent restoring and modifying them - if you do fit a tracker, you want to know that it will work 100% of the time to protect your vehicle and not fail at the critical moment when your bus is being low-loaded onto a flatbed to be sold for scrap, instead of a wire coming loose, or loss of signal meaning the tracker fails.

So, what do you guys think, should I chip on and get some more details? :shadey:

Loxy said:
Is it a "proper" tracker device as well then or just the same functions as the other sim/gps based products on the other thread?

Not sure what you mean by 'proper'. You get as standard:

¢Live Internet tracking for multiple users
¢Driver timesheets
¢System configuration control
¢2 minute updates using GPS and GPRS
¢Vehicle route “replay” facility
¢Real-time tracking from any PC

It is also a dedicated GPS tracker which uses the mobile networks to feed the information back to you.

Quartixvehicletrackingsystemarchite.jpg

I haven't looked at the other unit specs.

I have limited information right now, but I am pretty sure you can just watch your bus drive around and never run out of credit as it is a 'rented' system.

If there is good interest, I will be meeting with the manufacture for a discussion.

Looks good but must this absolutely be orange and no other network?

if this could be used PAYG it would be a really cheap option. cost of the orange sim alone is £198 a year

Johnny said:
Looks good but must this absolutely be orange and no other network?

if this could be used PAYG it would be a really cheap option. cost of the orange sim alone is £198 a year

I *think* it has to be the Orange Sim as the manufacturer must have some kind of set-up with them. I will ask if I meet with them.

I know what you mean about the extra expense, but as I say, you are paying for an 'unlimited' service - so no running out of 'credit' when you need it. Hopefully, you will save X amount on your insurance which you can off-set against this annual fee, then off-set again how much you would spend on another PAYG solution (£10 x 4? £40 a year?)..

Interested to hear some more comments guys. The more questions I have to ask the manufacturer, the better the product should be - or something like that anyway.

One thing I'm going to ask for is Google-maps integration for the basic model - which is the one I've been talking about - their other models have GMaps integration as standard.. :?

I think this one does the same thing only cheaper monthly rental? also free installation and they will bring it home if it does get robbed

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265140&C=Froogle&U=265140&T=Module" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My company had a tracker fitted to a co car last year and i spoke to the installer, he told me the system he uses only works with alternators, not dynamo's. Could be a question worth asking.

Rich 8)

I had the pricing wrong!! :oops:

There is NO initial cost for the unit, I must have read the quote too quickly before I left for work this morning!! :oops:

Apologies guys..

The estimated pricing is:

£95.00 one-off professional fitting

So a huge saving there!! :lol: :mrgreen:

type2tattoo said:
I think this one does the same thing only cheaper monthly rental? also free installation and they will bring it home if it does get robbed

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265140&C=Froogle&U=265140&T=Module" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the free recovery option. Although, our unit has just gone massively down in price due to a reading error by me :oops: . So, in the long run the Maplin one would be cheaper but not immediately.

Hoosier said:
My company had a tracker fitted to a co car last year and i spoke to the installer, he told me the system he uses only works with alternators, not dynamo's. Could be a question worth asking.

Rich 8)

Excellent point Rich, will put that on the question pad. 8)

Sorry, not getting this ^^^^^ :oops:

Does that make it 17 pounds a month every month or 17 pounds a month for 3 months and that pays for a years contract?
Child in the room on the Xbox making loads of noise and unable to concentrate :? .

Rich

cunning plan said:
Loxy said:
Is it a "proper" tracker device as well then or just the same functions as the other sim/gps based products on the other thread?

Not sure what you mean by 'proper'. You get as standard:

¢Live Internet tracking for multiple users
¢Driver timesheets
¢System configuration control
¢2 minute updates using GPS and GPRS
¢Vehicle route “replay” facility
¢Real-time tracking from any PC

It is also a dedicated GPS tracker which uses the mobile networks to feed the information back to you.

Quartixvehicletrackingsystemarchite.jpg

I haven't looked at the other unit specs.

I have limited information right now, but I am pretty sure you can just watch your bus drive around and never run out of credit as it is a 'rented' system.

If there is good interest, I will be meeting with the manufacture for a discussion.

Tracker made products produce a radio signal that can be tracked by the police, see here:
http://www.tracker-network.co.uk/TRACKER/TrackerHowItWorks.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This type of product is generally more expensive than your original pricing - hence why I asked if it supports it.

Hoosier said:

Sorry, not getting this ^^^^^ :oops:

Does that make it 17 pounds a month every month or 17 pounds a month for 3 months and that pays for a years contract?
Child in the room on the Xbox making loads of noise and unable to concentrate :? .

Rich

No problem. It *would* be £17 a month, every month and you are locked into 3-month contract, so after paying £17 x 3 = £51, you can quit using the product or roll into another 3-month contract paying £17 a month again - does that make sense?

Loxy said:
Tracker made products produce a radio signal that can be tracked by the police, see here:
http://www.tracker-network.co.uk/TRACKER/TrackerHowItWorks.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This type of product is generally more expensive than your original pricing - hence why I asked if it supports it.

Arr I see, I will add it to the list of questions and let you know ;)

certainly looks much better now, thats the cheapest police response tracker i've seen. Are there any reviews of their service or is it a new product?

Johnny said:
certainly looks much better now, thats the cheapest police response tracker i've seen. Are there any reviews of their service or is it a new product?

If you are referring to my potential tracker - it is not confirmed that it integrates with police systems yet, I need to ask. I have arranged a meeting with the MD of the company for next week so will let you know.

Plenty of press coverage and case studies here:

http://www.quartix.net/content/press.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < particularly good, documents how a stolen vehicle is recovered in a fast time.

http://www.quartix.net/content/cases.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.quartix.net/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < not hiding anything, shows how much you can get a single unit for direct from the manufacturer. We are planning a quantity so can offer a saving :mrgreen:

Did not see this but very interested in some form of tracker for the bus ...... will keep an eye on this

vwcranky said:
Did not see this but very interested in some form of tracker for the bus ...... will keep an eye on this

Cheers bud. We are meeting with the MD next week.. I'll keep you all posted :whip:

ryxx said:
Any updates on this ?

Thanks

Arr totally forgot to reply - which was good as the product really wasn't right for 'us'. It turned into more of a fleet management product than a tracker.

So, no go from me - sorry!

Latest posts