Very very confused!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyandsean

Reaction score
I have just had a split charging system fit but it runs my starting batterys flat and not the lesuire battery, Very very confused!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Please advise :oops:

sallyandsean said:
I have just had a split charging system fit but it runs my starting batterys flat and not the lesuire battery, Very very confused!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Please advise :oops:
wired up the wrong way round?

wired up the wrong way round?[/quote]
At first it worked ok so dont think its that simple

Think you need to get out the multi-meter to find out what is going on and where!

Did you fit it yourself? If so what wiring diagram have you followed?

Matt_B said:
Think you need to get out the multi-meter to find out what is going on and where!

Did you fit it yourself? If so what wiring diagram have you followed?

A mate did it for me!

Sounds like you havnt got a relay fitted that breaks the 'join' between the two batteries when the engine is switched off, or if you have, its not wired correctly.
Get ur buddy to check it.
Good luck
Just

What sort of relay are you using?

I've just fitted an "intelligent" relay that auto switches when the dynamo starts producing enough voltage. BUT, fitted as supplied, it was actually connecting at too low voltage (with the engine off, in fact), so it would have had the effect of draining the vehicle battery. I took it out of its case and adjusted it so that it kicks in when the engine's revving good and hard. Youreally need ameter to check - mine switches in around 14V now (the battery will be at around 12.8V fully charged).

If you have a standard setup of a relay switched from the ignition light ciruit, make sure that the swicthing voltage comes from that - not as per a diagram that is often on this forum that has it connected to the ignition switch. That way, if you have the ingition on whilst the engine is stopped, you don't drain the vehicle battery.

Cheers,
Nick

Sounds like its incorrectly wired, itrequires the feed from your dynamo lamp as a trigger otherwise it will take all the charge and your starter will suffer....

Araon said:
Sounds like its incorrectly wired, itrequires the feed from your dynamo lamp as a trigger otherwise it will take all the charge and your starter will suffer....
It is wired from dynamo. Bit of a spaz but I put 2 batterys to it wrong so put 24v through it. Will this have shagged relay, although it still clicks on and off???

you'll only have 24v going through it if you wired the batteries in series in which case you'll have had a whole lot of issues....

best if you take a few pics and describe in depth how its wired in

Araon said:
you'll only have 24v going through it if you wired the batteries in series in which case you'll have had a whole lot of issues....

best if you take a few pics and describe in depth how its wired in

My mate who fit the charging system has had a look this afternoon and said system all ok but my main starting battery is no shagged. Sounds like it might all just have been a coincidence but I have left a radio on from my inverter over night to test it out. Will let you know in morning if all is good!! :D :D

Latest posts