Viking roof?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_azza

Reaction score
Looking at adding a pop top to the van was thinking a Viking anyone seen any earlys with one fitted? Cheers

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59783&p=499646#p499646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mark6455 used to have one. It was massive inside.

I've got one - if I remember correctly there were 2 types of full- length Viking roofs.

Mine was originally a Devon which was subsequently converted

I originally thought mine was a Devon Moonraker but it turns out it was something like a devonette, which someone then put a Viking Roof on.

We haven't really used it since my son and I tried to restore it, failed after about 5 years on and off , and then it went away for a 2 year restoration from which we only got it back a month or two ago so we can't really comment on how practical it is etc. yet.

It's away again having a few minor snags rectified but if you're happy to come and have a look when it's back.
If not we can always take some photos if you want.

lil_azza said:
Looking at adding a pop top to the van was thinking a Viking anyone seen any earlys with one fitted? Cheers

Hi there, I haven't had an early with one fitted but I used to have a late super Viking. Obviously there are two types of Viking and the super Viking in my opinion is great. Chuffing huge with four solid single beds.

The only downside is that there is a lot of canvas so it's like sleeping in a big tent.

If you decide to try to fit one, my advice would be to fit at least four heavy duty hinges as the roof is very heavy. Cheap flimsy hinges = lots of trouble!

Cheers

Mike

Useless anorak info,

By 1981 Viking were gone and the roofs were available from Spacemaker Systems in Stanbridge Bedfordshire - which I think was part of the Richard Holdsworth company.

More useless anorak info.
The large side hinged Devon roof is called the 'Double Top' roof. It's often mistakenly called the Moonraker, but that's actually the interior:) Here's mine.

(sorry about the 'late' pic)

As mentioned above, the big roofs really hammer the metal work, personally i'd go for a lighter, better looking roof like the Dormobile.

I haave the same roof as you on my 69 but some pesky ,mice have decided they wanyed holes in the corners wwhen the van was barn stored do you no where i van by the canvas from or am i better getting it patched up.