Vil's 70 US Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vil

Reaction score
Hi all!
Been on here for a few months and I finally found the van I have been looking for a while back so I thought it was time to get some pics up!

As bought, the day after driving it back from St Leonards on Sea... :)

DSC03380.jpg

A 1970 US Campmobile Westy

Been in the UK since 2003, originally bought in by a Mr. Richard King! :)
Exactly what I was looking for, right colour, not a bad price and solid. it also has 4 extra seatbelts in the back which was a bonus as I have 3 Kids.. :) and looking at the reciept for fitting them it has saved me £600!! :D Adjusters already in the front beam, just needs winding down and the rear dropping (has to be done, the only way to go IMO) :)

A quick pic below of my last VW so you have an idea of the style I am into!

IMAGE048-1.jpg

First outing to Vanfest and £300 lighter after a visit to Status for a 'rubber overhaul' :) I fitted new rubber seals to the Cab doors, slider, rear hatch and engine lid...I still have the Pop top seals and I have also decided to go Deluxe all round with the Window rubbers!

Second outing to the Hot Rod Drags in Sept at Avon Park ( I love my rods also :) )

IMAGE_261.jpg

IMAGE_256.jpg

I bought all the rubber seals first off as the Westy has to live on the drive as I don't have a garage anymore so it needs to be watertight for the Winter :)

Anyway the most important seal was the rear window, it leaked like a B*****d! About to start the job when I noticed this wee fella in the back....

DSC03424.jpg

Blimey, that's a lot of water!

DSC03425.jpg

hello fellow tamworthian :D
there are a few of us on here now, and i few i know that are not signed up :(
cool van by the way....oh and the airstream rocks!

hahahahahahahaha.....you have ducks in your van as well, I am not sure what attracts them :shock:

great looking van. white westy's are the best IMO.
what wheels are you looking at, considering black and polished Fuchs or black BRM 5's myself. still can't make my mind up !

Nice van and liking the duck - what will happen to the duck now the vans water tight :cry:

Blimey, it's been a while! :lol:

Got back on track after the usual family and cash flow issues :roll: !!

I started to strip the interior out so I could firstly change the window rubber behind the wardrobe then move on from there.. :)

DSC03727.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03728.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

As you can see, the window rubbers had leaked and killed the interior panels :(

Window rubber changed, now time for something different.. 8)
I decided that instead of putting in some curtain material behind the wardrobe I would make my own blind to flow with the louvered window so after a trip to Ikea for a cheap blind, a bit of imagination and a good staplegun.....

DSC03736.jpg

I now have this!

DSC03737.jpg

I decided to lose the quarter light and 3/4 window the other side and go with a solid glass window..not too happy with the fit at the moment, I may change the rubber soon..

DSC03749.jpg

Back to the interior, stripped out a bit more

DSC03731.jpg

Closer inspection revealed that the floor was about knackered too..!

DSC03732.jpg

Floor stripped out and cleaned up! I have done half on the picture so you get an idea of how filthy it was..at least there was no rot or major corrosion :)

DSC03750.jpg

I was that busy after that taking photos was the last thing on my mind!
I reinsulated all the side walls ready for new boards :)

After much searching I could'nt get Baltic Birch ply for the wall side areas so I decided on standard plywood for ease and cost. I found some at Tippers building supplies in Lichfield, it was just the job! The colour will be nice with a coat of the right clear varnish and it is 3.4mm thick which meant that it slots nicely into the original channel without modification 8)

DSC03751.jpg

In they went with a full new floor too, costing just under £25 for the lot :D

More tomorrow if the weather is good 8)

Latest posts