vinyl headliner - perforated or dotted?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robjarman

Reaction score
hi - my original 71 bay has an off-white vinyl headliner which is not perforated, but has black dots imitating the perforations - only the rear panel section of the headliner by the tailgate and the central panel section in the cab are perforated vinyl. I guess this was deliberate as the headliner is the original VW...?

I need to replace the headliner, but all those I have looked at (Heritage, WCM, wonderland classics, etc) are sold as perforated.

does anyone know who might supply non-perforated vinyl? or maybe it doesn't matter!!

cheers, rob

Rob,
Yours is exactly the same as mine - built Jan 71.
When I enquired here about this I was told that this can't be!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that much as they all seem to be slightly different anyway.
I've just looked at Martrim & again theirs is perforated. May be worth a call though.

Phil.

We can offer headliners special order in the following,

Perforated, 44 Off White, 45 Black, 46 Grey, 47 Tan,

Crush Vinyl 48 Off White, 49 Black.

And Mohair 75 Grey, 76 Beige, 77 Ivory

Bud, take a look at Harrison auto trimmers before you part with a fortune.

many thanks for the tip - which Harrison? Swanley? Cleckheaton? another one?

am looking at wonderland classic for best price made up headliner...

cheers
rob

Have you got a link for Harrison auto trimmers i have looked but cannot find?

no - sorry - I have also searched for Harrison and found the Swanley and Cleckheaton firms but they don't seem to supply headliner material, so not sure what Trinketpimp was referring to??

Rob

I used a Wonderland headliner very good pleanty of extra to do around windows just remember to order spray glue from them as well, fitted it myself wasnt too hard if your up to a challenge

that's good to know, cos I ordered a full length headliner from Wonderland earlier today!! Chris there was really helpful - it made sense to buy a full length version complete with bow pockets and the window and pillar surrounds even though I shall be cutting into the main roof section of the headliner as have a Devon pop-top. That way I shall have all the original seams and the essential rear bow pocket to fit by the tailgate section.
Chris explained that the glue will seep through the perforated vinyl so needs careful wipe over with panel wipe before it dries - of course the original non-perforated vinyl fabric would not suffer that problem!! dunno why nobody can stock the original off-white vinyl with black pinprick printed dots...
also important not to over-stretch the fabric, apparently...

the fun bit was working with Pete at Napstok Customs to remove the Devon pop top plinth - there was one bit of serious rust lurking beneath the plinth in a rear corner, but amazingly the 40 year old softwood former that makes the frame for the plinth was almost unaffected by damp or woodworm!! Pete invented and built a very simple system for getting the plinth off, which he will no doubt patent!

hopefully it all goes back as readily as it was teased out!!
cheers
rob

Hi Rob
Be careful with the glues. Many spray-on so-called trim adhesives do not work with any vinyl because the plasticiser in the PVC migrates into the glue forming a sticky non-adhesive mess. Ask me how I know :roll: This even happens with adhesives supplied by trimming firms.

I've found that contact adhesives also do the same but it takes longer before the vinyl starts to peel off.

I know one local firm uses a water based glue but not sure what it is. Suggest you try phoning some auto trimmers to ask what they use.

Brian

hi Brian - thanks for the tip-off - very much appreciated - I'll ask the experts...and try a small swatch first to see if there's a glue:pVC nuclear reaction!
someone on a forum somewhere said they use double-sided tape instead of glue - wonder how that would work?
all the best to you and yours
cheers
Rob

BJ1 said:
Hi Rob
Be careful with the glues. Many spray-on so-called trim adhesives do not work with any vinyl because the plasticiser in the PVC migrates into the glue forming a sticky non-adhesive mess. Ask me how I know :roll: This even happens with adhesives supplied by trimming firms.

I've found that contact adhesives also do the same but it takes longer before the vinyl starts to peel off.

I know one local firm uses a water based glue but not sure what it is. Suggest you try phoning some auto trimmers to ask what they use.

Brian

+1!!! My "trimmer" didn't know this and after taking it back twice it's still coming off! PITA to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get the spray glue from wonderland as its what they use thats what i did. If there happy to use it then it must be ok i havnt had a problem and i fitted mine 6months ago

dodge6x6 said:
Get the spray glue from wonderland as its what they use thats what i did. If there happy to use it then it must be ok i havnt had a problem and i fitted mine 6months ago

Maybe you are right, but I've never found a spray adhesive that works with vinyl headliner. Wait til a hot week in summer - let us know if it's still there ;)

Latest posts