VW & Cooking...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_r_p

Reaction score
I'm sure it's something we all do.
Some better than others.... cooking.

Being the over eager person I am, I got myself the VW Camper Cookbook. I must say I'm not sure they are all suited to the little 2 ring stoves we have.

Can anyone recommend any tried and tested meals??? there has to be more than just a fry up or super noodles, doesn't there???...

With the greatest of respect mate, what do you cook at home on a day to day basis? Surely an everyday meal does not require 4 rings, an oven and microwave?!!!
A simple stew and potatoes, a curry or chilli and rice, or a bolognaise sauce with pasta only needs 2 rings! Obviously with no oven, roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding are a no go, but there are still many gastronomic delights to be had! Small steamers are available, so spuds in the bottom, veg in the middle and fish in the top - Easy peasy on ONE ring!
Honest, get down WHSmith, there must be a book in there to help. I did see a few years ago see one called 'One pot cooking', didn't buy it then and have not seen it since. Traditional cookery books are also a good source of ideas, my 'Bible' is a 'Good Housekeeping' edition from 1978. Proper simple food, stews, risottos, goulash and the like, fresh ingredients and one or two pots to cook in are the norm in these type of books. Ignore ones from the TV chefs, usually full of pretencious nonsense, get ones your granny would have liked!
Don't forget the addition of a barbie, cook meat, corn etc on that and have two rings for spuds, rice, pasta etc, all of which can have additions, garlic, small/chopped veg, onions, spices, pesto etc. Cook small new spuds early,get cold and serve with BBQ and salad later! It goes on and on, I'm no chef but enjoy simple everyday food and am good at waffling, esp.after the pub! Cheers mate, good luck!

the wife is veggie, and those steamers are a god send, i used to hate vegetables, as a teenager i had chips and sausages for christmas dinner :oops:

a two/three tier steamer and you can have a full meal, spuds veggies and a nice big thick steak in the frying pan as well :wink: all with two rings :)

Schwartz Pasta and Tuna Napolinata (sp?) is a staple food for us when camping, pasta in one pot and the sauce/tuna/mushrooms etc in the other. Grate some cheese, hey presto, Gordon's your effing uncle!. Pasta and Pesto is another good one.

This thread really interests me !

Im a Chef, I have been working in professional kitchens for around 16 years now.
Im also a huge VW van fanatic! - longer then ive been cooking!
And I happen to be the author of "the original VW campercookbook"

so answering the question

"Can anyone recommend any tried and tested meals???"

YES - I can

I designed all the recipes in the book with not only the vw camper in mind but also, equipment, space, veggies and vegans, cooking ability, availability of ingredients, and of course variety and inspiration.
With the exception of a few BBQ recipes! which i thought would be useful too and the gingerbread bus (last recipe) they all can be made in a camper.
I have put in a lot of time and effort into my book, I thought about a lot of factors, such as the fact that some of us dont even have 2 rings in our bus and just carry around a single gas stove, so there are many recipes in the book which can be cooked with just one ring, some recipes don't even need cooking! I also made sure that the recipes and methods are extremely simple and easy to follow, each recipe has a small "utensils" logo which at a glance lets you know what you will mostly need to pull of the recipe, ie a frying pan and a bowl.

I have even tested some of the recipes out on complete culinary novices (ie my brother chris "crusty" Rooker) who has zero kitchen skills.
Last time he was over mine I asked him if he would cook us carbonara from the book and I was quite amazed, it was excellent.

But here are some tips that come to mind when cooking, whenever and wherever, be it in your bus or at home.

top tip - Mise en place - a french culinary term which basically means prepare, prepare everything you can before you start cooking.

A great phrase that I always quote in the kitchen, its from an old sous chef I used to work with many years ago, he used to say " its better to be looking at it, then for it!" basically make sure you have everything and that you have enough of it.

Another one I always quote "you can add but you cant take away" as once you have over done it, its too late, so taste as you go.

2 last quotes - practise makes perfect!
and my favorite - a man who never made a mistake, never made anything!

So Tom, Thanks for buying my book, I think you will be flying through the recipes and cooking up a storm once you have mastered some basics.
id say start with some thing simple such as "omelette page 60-61" or "scandinavian fish soup page 24-25" or what about pancakes "page 148-149" and perfect it.

pete B - sounds like you have some skills :wink:

Im going to be doing a few shows around the UK next year, and I will definitely be cooking some demos from the book in our van.

IMG_1882.jpg

"thats me above borrowing rikki's bus for an impromptu cooking demo"
cheers
Steve Rooker

please check out our book at http://www.vwcampercookbook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fanofthevan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we should organise a cruise over at Rutland Water, nice scenery and an excuse for a BBQ with the vans.
Do we actually need an excuse?

Fanofthevan, I'm impressed to get a response from the author of said book. I've tried a lot of the recipes. I'm impressed so far. However I must confess I'm no chef, nearest I get is having the language of Gordon Ramsey when the heat is on... or the beer for that matter.

Although I'm a little embarrassed to admit this in the company of the author of the VW Cookbook, As far a veggie food goes when camping its very hard to beat a Halloumi butty with onion, mushrooms and far too much HP fruity Sauce.

Breakfast, Dinner and Tea.

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yes!!

:mrgreen:

giraffeinbath said:
and far too much HP fruity Sauce.

have you tried Reggae Reggae Sauce yet? I dont know what they put in it but im hooked!

FOTV :shock: i think ill go buy the book now :wink:

Latest posts