Wah, my steering has a mind of it's own!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, it's not so bad now I've dropped the rear, but my 1970 deluxe seems to wander a bit on less than flat roads. It can be a bit scary at high speed.
It feels liek there's a loose spot in the steering box, as there's play where the steering wheel moves but the wheels don't turn.
Can anyone explain how to adjust up the steering please?
I don't have a Haynes manual... yet.
Cheers,
Olson
8)

Not sure if a split is the same as a bay steering box, but this is how you do the bay box.

Adjustments must be made with the wheels pointing straight ahead.
There is an adjusting screw on the side of the steering box. You'll know it because there is a locking nut on it too. What you have to do is....loosen the locking nut and then tighten the adjusting screw very slightly. Do not tighten it all the way in!! Then tighten the locking nut and go for a drive and see how the steering feels. If you adjust it in too far, your steering will be very stiff and will feel "lumpy" as you turn it. You want to adjust it so that the screw is as far in as possible without the steering feeling lumpy or very stiff.

You might also think about replacing your steering damper. They're really cheap but they can make a lot of difference to your steering.

Yes check the steering damper first.

The steering on mine was crap and first thought the box. The ball joint at the end had gone so when you turned the wheel nothing happened for a while as the arm didn't move.

Get someone to sit in the van and turn the wheel while you look underneath and see whats going on.

Boatbuilder, it's a bay, so your instructions are right!

Might be worth replacing the damper if they're cheap then anyway?

Cheers guys
8)

boatbuilder said:
A classic sign that your steering damper is gone....is if your steering shudders when you're driving at around 35-40mph even on a flat smooth road.

No it's not really that, it just sometimes, more noticeably on uneven roads, pulls sharpely left or right, and can be an effort to get on the straight and narrow again.

Check your tracking too.

When we picked up our westy it was a fight to keep it in a straight line, it didn't like self-centering after steering input either.

When I checked the tracking it was WAY off - like this | /

Not ideal...

Note that new steering box has the smallest play in the middle and biggest in far left/right positions. But if the box is used and worn in the middle (most used position), you might need to addjust it a little bit off the center position at the point where the play is smallest.

Mine did exactly what yours is doing.

There is a worm screw adjuster on the box, i think mine was underneath.

Undo the locking bolt and wind the screw in (a bit at a time) if you go too far the steering becomes really tight and too heavy. You just need to find a happy meduim and them tighten up the locking bolt.

Mine is a whole lot better and the van responds to the steering better, i can now feel the drift and counter it when driving, instead of waiting for the van to wander and then correct.

PS. i also plan to replace the steering damper (not done this yet).

That's what I was hoping, as I had a similar problem on my split panel van...

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow, and check my damper etc at the same time.

8)

i had this problem and tried adjusting....unfortunatly flogging a dead horse (in my case) and rebuilds are expensive....then i stumbled across this rack conversion.....
http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=278
all in this has cost me less than £100 (doing it all myself) thats including bits I didnt do -casting, machining, and obviously purchase of the parts (very cheap and available)

To make things even better ive also added power steering :D
http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1309

Right, I've adjusted the steering box, and it's helped but it's still a bit out.

My next plan of action is to lower the rear to the height I want it, then get the tracking looked at.
I'm also going to fit a new steering damper because they're cheap.

8)

Looks like my steering damper is shagged, will be fitting a new one on Saturday... Fingers crossed!

PS, does anyone know if it's worth paying the extra for a German one or will a Brazilian damper be just as good - GSF list both... 8)

Turns out the steering damper was falling apart, drives a lot better now, woop!
Got new tyres all round today too, so it sits level and all.
8)

Latest posts