want to go a little faster??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
i'm buying a 1969 bay with no engine or trans from usa.. I plan to go over, buy the bus and get bebuilt engine and trans put in over there,,, bring back to UK and take to slamwerks to get narrowed and lowered..

can someone give me some advice on engine and trans... I dont want to race my bus but want something a little faster so i'm not stuck in the slow lane..
I also want something reliable and economical so i can afford to travel about in it when its all done!

I have been looking at free flyer trans and a pleace called old speed that do rebuilt engines in clifornia..

Any advice much appreciated,, Rowan.

a later 091 6 ribbed gearbox is the way to go, they have a much taller gear set and is a stronger box, meaning less likely to damage it and also a more comfy and economical ride on the motorways,

being a bus you want a torque motor not a rev motor, this is controlled by the cam and the heads, keep calm on the cam and heads and go for what ever cc size you fancy, the engine builder should be able to point you in the right direction!

hope that helps

cheers

alex

I know a very good builder been around for many many years who can turn around work at short notice in LA. Be aware that most of the engine builders have a waiting list in excess of 8 weeks and then another 2-3 weeks to design build and test your motor.

If you need any advice on builders give me a shout Pm me for my mobile number, ive done alot of research since being burned before on an engine build so i know who to avoid as well.

I've just had this 2065 EFI built for my 71.

[youtube]9-DERgR4rXQ[/youtube]

You could try Eric (Woodslat) on here, i know he had a few 6 rib boxes lying around recently. He can get you any parts im sure you need hes in Sacremento but travels to LA on a regular basis i believe.

thanks Alex, Johny ...

To be honest i need all the help I can get on this,,,I've got a lot to learn when it comes to engines :oops:

As i said i'm not looking to race my bus but to just have little more speed!

I presume it is more cost effective getting work done in the states but my only worry would be when/if problems appear with engine/gearbox - what standard of customer support am i going to recieve when i'm the other side of the ocean?!

I wnat to get a 4-inch narrowed adj link pin beam, dropped spindles and chasis notched... and down two outer splines on the rear... so i'm not going to have a fortune to then shed out on engine and running gear.

maybe i should just opt for a standard 1600 engine with an upgraded gearbox... maybe i should start getting some quotes?! ... Johny if you can point me in the right direction ...and tell me what top do!! ha ha :)
I really am determined to do this as it'll be a dream come true-if it all works out!..but am aware that i do need help so i dont get totally ripped off...

maybe i'll bring you back some goodies in my shipping container in exchange for knowledge!

thanks, Rowan.

your first stop should be thesamba.com and have a look around the adverts in the sections you need and check out the feedback for all the engine builders and restorers. You'll get a good idea who's good, and who to avoid.

I trust the people i've dealt with and they do give good value with years of experience, im not plugging them and would suggest you do shop around. I think you should start with what you've decided budget wise and see where that fits with what you want.

beware though, there are alot of cowboys around.

An interesting topic as i am starting to weigh up the pro's and con's and am after similar advice as I want to get a bit more low down power sorted out to get up them hills and pass things (camper, family of five, bikes etc), but am not planning on going down the strip.

But it's not just about getting an engine built is it? Although I am pretty handy, can take a commone sense approach to understanding problems and will read around subjects and learn from the good people on this forum to understand how things work and should be, I do not intend to become an engine guru, and frankly don't have the time to be be so.

So, it all comes down to five things IMO:

1. Trust
2. Reputation
3. Quality of built engine
4. Quality of installation
5. Where do you go if things aren't right

Cost is obviuosly a factor but if you're buying a bigger engine then your are looking a £3500+ (then gearbox?) but there is no point (to me) in just buying it if you don't have the right people to put it in, set it up right etc. So to me the cost to consider is the whole package including the install and follow up service. Its not a small committment to make.

So as you say Rowan, I think I am going to get advice and quotes from the usual people mentioned on here but I think I am going to concentrate on speaking to someone who can do the package and install becasue i want one point of responsibilty.
I want to be able to go somewhere when something isn't right and they say no problem we'll sort it out. No splits between the installer and supplier. If I were Bristol I would be looking at Easy's recommendation Interpro as they fit this bill.

I have someone in mind who is local and are recommended but will be doing my research elsewhere too. I would hate to be in the position having shelled out alot of money to be unhappy with my choice and have no comebacks.

I would love to save a few quid by shopping around but you've stiill got to get someone who knows their stuff to install it, advise on running it in, then re-checking it etc and get it to them to look at if there is a problem. At least that's they way I feel I have to go.

Does this make sense folks?

Al

Johnny said:
your first stop should be thesamba.com and have a look around the adverts in the sections you need and check out the feedback for all the engine builders and restorers. You'll get a good idea who's good, and who to avoid.

I trust the people i've dealt with and they do give good value with years of experience, im not plugging them and would suggest you do shop around. I think you should start with what you've decided budget wise and see where that fits with what you want.

beware though, there are alot of cowboys around.

some good advice here from johnny, but when thinking about what you can pay out you need to consider what else you require if your not buying a full turnkey package, like carbs, manifolds, exhaust, pipes, cooling, filters, pipes, cables etc

Matt has a very good point in that you have little comeback or the hassle of having to ship an engine back to the US. So you really need to weigh up the pros and cons of price over the surety of being able to take it back to the builder if it goes wrong. If Price is your priority then you wont get it cheaper here, but if it breaks down? can you cope with the repair?. I saved probably the same amount of money again on the build as i got everything when the dollar was two to one but i spent a bit more and went EFI as its simple to trouble shoot of your computer savvy.

If you find a builder in the US make sure they stand by their work to the point where they will ship it back on their charge or have it fixed here and pick up the bill for you. The guys i bought from ship all of over the world and do a fair few engines a year to europe and will pay for any repairs in the UK if needed. Make sure the warranty is valid and that it wont cost you anything if it does go wrong.

yes its difficult weighing up whats the cheepest option in the long run.. and not having huge amounts of hastle and stress is worth a lot!
A complete remtec single port 1600 engine over here is going to cost £2199.
comes with a full 2 year warranty but is going to leave me with little funds to take my bus to the guys at slamwerks!
As most of my funds are coming from selling my old camper - it'll take me a long time to save cash for a slamwerks treatment... and its got to be slammed!

How about getting the the front narrowed link pin beam, dropped spindles, chassis notched etc done in California - saving money in that department??

I'm right in thinking am i - that slamwerks will cost just over £1000?

Johny - the guys you know in CA would you be able to put me in contact with them so i could discuss some prices please?

Thanks for all your sound advice guys, Rowan.

matt-me said:
An interesting topic as i am starting to weigh up the pro's and con's and am after similar advice as I want to get a bit more low down power sorted out to get up them hills and pass things (camper, family of five, bikes etc), but am not planning on going down the strip.

But it's not just about getting an engine built is it? Although I am pretty handy, can take a commone sense approach to understanding problems and will read around subjects and learn from the good people on this forum to understand how things work and should be, I do not intend to become an engine guru, and frankly don't have the time to be be so.

1. Trust
2. Reputation

Cost is obviuosly a factor but if you're buying a bigger engine then your are looking a £3500+ (then gearbox?) but there is no point (to me) in just buying it if you don't have the right people to put it in, set it up right etc. So to me the cost to consider is the whole package including the install and follow up service. Its not a small committment to make.

So as you say Rowan, I think I am going to get advice and quotes from the usual people mentioned on here but I think I am going to concentrate on speaking to someone who can do the package and install becasue i want one point of responsibilty.
I want to be able to go somewhere when something isn't right and they say no problem we'll sort it out. No splits between the installer and supplier. If I were Bristol I would be looking at Easy's recommendation Interpro as they fit this bill.

I have someone in mind who is local and are recommended but will be doing my research elsewhere too. I would hate to be in the position having shelled out alot of money to be unhappy with my choice and have no comebacks.

I would love to save a few quid by shopping around but you've stiill got to get someone who knows their stuff to install it, advise on running it in, then re-checking it etc and get it to them to look at if there is a problem. At least that's they way I feel I have to go.

Al

That Make PERFECT Sense and it's lovely to hear,

Most people are very half arsed, where as it sounds like you are serious and are taking EVERY thing into consideration so that you have continued and LONG lasting enjoyment.

As said above there are cowboys around, but also lots of people that look for the cheapest option and therefore support these cowboys!

My suggestion to you and I can personally recommend them and they fit all of your requirements is to go down to see Mark and Matt at Autotechniks, they are near Epsom Racecourse, 01372 878 464, They are currently on their summer Holiday but should be back last week in August.

One last thing to remember is carb'd type 1 engines rely on Tapets and Carbs both of which need checking and setting at regular intervals. This is far to often overlooked, and many engines that are running rough would benefit from a good service.

alex4057 said:
matt-me said:

1. Trust
2. Reputation

Al

That Make PERFECT Sense and it's lovely to hear,

Most people are very half arsed, where as it sounds like you are serious and are taking EVERY thing into consideration so that you have continued and LONG lasting enjoyment.

As said above there are cowboys around, but also lots of people that look for the cheapest option and therefore support these cowboys!

My suggestion to you and I can personally recommend them and they fit all of your requirements is to go down to see Mark and Matt at Autotechniks, they are near Epsom Racecourse, 01372 878 464, They are currently on their summer Holiday but should be back last week in August.

One last thing to remember is carb'd type 1 engines rely on Tapets and Carbs both of which need checking and setting at regular intervals. This is far to often overlooked, and many engines that are running rough would benefit from a good service.

Alex

They're exactly who I have in mind due in part to your recommendation and Phil Norman recommending them too. Mark and Matt raised my bus one spline as I am carrying some kit and people now when I go camping. Nice guys, very efficient and a nice set up too. When I get the time I'll be going to see them. I need an engine to pull this lot and be able to go up hills without too much effort.

Thanks for the response. May hook up with you before I go over to talk to you about do's and don'ts. Maybe we can hook up with Ricky (wonkey donkey) too and have a beer. I know you're local.

Al

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK342&q=good%20companions%20warlingham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Companions, Warlingham, this thursday night it's Slackers night, should be a few of us there!

In my bus i've got a 1600 twinport with twin Weber 40 IDF carbs, Scat high ratio rockers, Bosch 009 dizzy and a 4 into 1 exhaust. I know it's nothing amazing but it is lot better than a stock bus. Once it's back on the road i'll be looking for a 1303 beetle box so I can sit a 65-70mph without revving the nuts off it :lol:

Karl

sackmcgannay said:
How about getting the the front narrowed link pin beam, dropped spindles, chassis notched etc done in California - saving money in that department??

Thanks for all your sound advice guys, Rowan.

Can i just advise you that Just because you get a 4'' narrowed beam and arms and spindles in the states and its ( possibly ) All new, :evil: doesnt mean it will pass our MOT laws .....

There have been several instances recently of people importing slammed Splits screens from the Usa with '' All '' the work done to get them on the floor and when there here , The Mot man just falling over Laughing because the components are either A) So worn out B) the modifications are just bloody lethal that the vehicle is condemed and needs another 2 to 3 grand throwing at it to get it road legal

there is NO mot law in the Usa if it runs you can drive it , Most of the time the indicators etc dont even work but the vehicle runs So its driven .

Engines

Ok I was one of the unfortunates caught up in the Serrannos incident on The Samba.com , Basically an engine builder who took peoples money and sometimes built them an engine and Most of the time took there money and F#cked them in the Ass, Now I got my engine..... it wasnt what I ordered and ultimatly went bang on its 3rd journey. DONT beleive all the reviews that are written on the Samba BUT do listen to guys on Here who will give you real and actual experience of dealing with well known and respected traders.

If you wish to slam your bus pls take into account that you will also need new shocks/tyres and possibly Cv joints etc . You cant do anything on a Vw on a budget You need to be realistic so always have a little in reserve

Also if you wish to have a bigger engine you will need extras like twin carbs £ 500 and external oil coolers with fan £ 200 quid a decent exhaust £ 200 quid and thats before you bolt on a decent clutch £ 150 quid and/or have a gearbox built/fitted

I personally have a 1600 mexican factory motor in my bus , I got it from GSF and bolted my rebuilt twin dellortos to it and my own exhaust ,its bolted to a 1302s gearbox and she does go very well . Also she's been Uber reliable and thats what You want .

I know this will be your dream bus and Im Not trying to piss on your chips dude, But personally I would get the bus over here put a stock gearbox in it and a 1600 motor with twin carbs and get it to Slamwerks who do a 1st class job and enjoy it for a short time , then when you've ironed all the bugs outta of it..... then put a big motor in it :mrgreen:

I hope this helps and look forward to seeing what You settle on ;)

I got burned by one of the shites that used to work at Serranos after they went under. They weren't selling quality just cheap and knocking them together from what i heard. I learned an expensive lesson. But not all US engines are going to go bang, not by a long shot. Find someone established who has a track record. Usually word spreads fast if a builder is dodgy.

I'm really happy with what ive got now at a fraction of what it would have cost in the UK so its not all bad.

I definitely agree about the big engine, start out with something reliable as you dont want to be spending your time, after first steps in to Bus ownership underneath it or having it parked up.

The GSF Remtec option sounds like a decent good one and probably good value too, im not sure what the cost is on a 1600 turnkey? but its probably worth investigating it.

So Johnny, who installed your engine and what recourse do you have if something goes wrong, with either the installer or supplier? I am keen to know as I see this as a more important part of this excercise. In my experience it is when you have crossover of responsibilities that it ends up with the buyer/client who has to pay!

Thanks

Al

I'm no lawyer but studied enough law in my time that I would have thought from a legal perspective that it all depends upon which jurisdiction ones finds themelves operating under. If built by an american engine builder in the states then I would have thought you have no recourse under English law and if they stick two fingers up at you then nowt you can do ... for that reason alone I would probably always buy something major like an engine in the UK. Unless of course personally you have longstanding relationship and can trust them to sort you out if things go wrong.

Probably looking for a new engine in the near future so interested to hear how various builders perform ... not interested in cheap want something reliable ... no point in having a bus if it cant leave the drive :lol:

Baz

matt-me said:
So Johnny, who installed your engine and what recourse do you have if something goes wrong, with either the installer or supplier? I am keen to know as I see this as a more important part of this excercise. In my experience it is when you have crossover of responsibilities that it ends up with the buyer/client who has to pay!

Thanks

Al

Al, i pointed out this this option is the much cheaper option and you take a chance with it so you need to way up the pros and cons. The guy who built my engine stands by his work and if anything goes wrong i take it to my mechanic and hell pick up the bill on a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It is not in the interest of the company who built my engine to stick two fingers up if something goes wrong as they export so many engines into europe.

If someone see this as the most important factor then by all means go with a local builder as it will be the best choice for you. I'm just pointing out there are other much less expensive options.

Latest posts