Want to learn how to weld

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Hello people, I want to learn how to weld, advice on what to do would be nice :D it will just say me alot of money and the satisfaction that its done right will be nice :D

Three options as far as I can tell:

1. Enroll on a course at your local college/night school (you'll have to learn a lot of stuff that isn't relevant though!
2. Find a local VW club member/local welder who is prepared to teach you for some beer!
3. Teach yourself (via DVD's or books or trial & error) - takes longer, you'll make mistakes, lots of fun!

Anyone else got any ideas?

;)

Justin & Mutley said:
Three options as far as I can tell:

1. Enroll on a course at your local college/night school (you'll have to learn a lot of stuff that isn't relevant though!
2. Find a local VW club member/local welder who is prepared to teach you for some beer!
3. Teach yourself (via DVD's or books or trial & error) - takes longer, you'll make mistakes, lots of fun!

Anyone else got any ideas?

;)

Great advice here, and when you feel like you're ready, study your bus. Look at all the places where the body panels meet, all the flanges. etc..
You'll be able to determine how much welding is needed once it is stripped, and know that it is most often easier to stich in a whole new panel rather than fab a piece to fill in the cancerous spot (although places like the nose may differ). Good luck with your welding journeys.

Bought my welder - just trying to build up the courage to take the thing out
of its packaging and put together then use :shock:

Probably the best way to learn, if you can't get on a course or get someone round
is to pratice on some scrap metal, having looked on the net (there is a good site
about welding - http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/), books etc then have a go.

That is what I am hoping to do :wink:

Teach yourself, and stay safe!

i learned by cutting up/welding my rusty doors, when i was about 16!
(PlayStations were never my thing :wink: )

I'm not sure what the courses are like these days, but my ole-man went on one about 5 years ago. All he managed to do in 4 weeks was learn the safe way to use tin snips!

Damn health and safty, soon you won't be able to cross the road.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Well im gonna have a read of that site, and maybe one day, I will have the power :D

Im still willing to give away meat with my beer

I taught myself by trial and error. It's not that hard really. Wear some heavy duty clothes, the burns hurt a lot.

^^^WHS - the first time a blob of molten metal drops onto your trousers and burns through to your testicles is a day you'll never forget, then you'll know you're a true welder!!!

Play safe, wear thick clothes (non-synthetic) and have fun!

;)

I went on a welding course. Was brilliant. :D

A great confidence builder and they were very hot on the safety issues.

It was mainly arc welding, but when the tutor learned that I was mainly interested in mig welding, he sourced a mig for me to use during the course.
He also has offered to come and help me get going when I finally get hold of my own welder.
Of course, not all tutors are going to be that helpful, I think I struck lucky 8)

But the course was well worth doing. Now I just need to get hold of a machine and get attacking the beetles :lol:

i have been welding for about three months now and still haven`t grasped it yet!! Ive had some helpful tips of a friend but i havent seemed to get the hang of it!! Good fun, though i have probably spent more on wire, gas, and grinds than panels for my van :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm....so im guessing my being able to weld two new wheel arches and a front floor pan might not be unrealistic :?

Alzy said:
i have been welding for about three months now and still haven`t grasped it yet!! Ive had some helpful tips of a friend but i havent seemed to get the hang of it!! Good fun, though i have probably spent more on wire, gas, and grinds than panels for my van :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

I don't want to offend, really I don't, but it shouldn't take that long! Perhaps there's a prob with your welder that's holding you back? Perhaps a lesson from a local welder might help?

;)

Latest posts