• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - complete LHD split beam including spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considered a pre 70 bay beam? Same bolt pattern and You'll have ball joint suspension..?

Need to know what year beam you want pre 63or 64 to 67
I csn sort it for yiu here ststeside and delivery to uk for cheap but not fast..
John
Will be at bugfreeze but not selling parts this time

Karmann70 said:
64-67 for an early Bay

That's utter pish! All Spitty beams will fit a a pre-70 early bay (with the early beam mouting bolt pattern).. it's the spindles that make a difference... if you have an early beam then you need to get '63 only spindles so EB brakes or Porka brakes will fit... 64-67 spindles accept EB brakes but won't fit an early split beam as the link pins are different (19.9mm vs 21.9mm)

So, if you have a pre '64 beam, just buy '63 only (dropped) spindles for it which are available as that is what's fitted to my bus at the moment!

Shorty said:
Karmann70 said:
64-67 for an early Bay

That's utter pish! All Spitty beams will fit a a pre-70 early bay (with the early beam mouting bolt pattern).. it's the spindles that make a difference... if you have an early beam then you need to get '63 only spindles so EB brakes or Porka brakes will fit... 64-67 spindles accept EB brakes but won't fit an early split beam as the link pins are different (19.9mm vs 21.9mm)

So, if you have a pre '64 beam, just buy '63 only (dropped) spindles for it which are available as that is what's fitted to my bus at the moment!

64-67 is actually a better option as 63 only spindles are hard to come by, the link pins cost alot more and if you needed to replace the king pins you have to find nos. You could use pre 63 as CSP do a disc kit jus depends how much you want to spend?

They are handed but its only the steering dampner mount that make the difference, you can cut it of and weld on the other side.

OK, a couple of facts with the aim of clarifying matters.. (we're gonna get told off soon for chat in a classified thread! :p )

Transporterhaus will happily make you a set of '63 dropped spindles.. they are even advertised on the Coolair VW website. (They are the same price as any other Dropped Spindle BTW)

King pins should you ever need to replace them are available at VW Heritage, or a revisit to TH should sort you out..

The link pins are slightly more expensive, however, from TH's own lips, the early ones don't seem to wear out like the late ones for some reason.. so buy the time you've bought 2 sets of late link pins, you're evens at worst...

Shorty said:
Karmann70 said:
64-67 for an early Bay

He/she wants to buy a complete set-up including spindles . Why did you bother with all that above ? Like I said 64-67 is best , as that`s what`s fitted to MY bus at the moment .

Karmann70 said:
Shorty said:
Karmann70 said:
64-67 for an early Bay

He/she wants to buy a complete set-up including spindles . Why did you bother with all that above ? Like I said 64-67 is best , as that`s what`s fitted to MY bus at the moment .

1964-67 beams have roller bearings as well, rather than bushes.

Latest posts