• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - early bay RHD steering box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loloop

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in need of a RHD steering box for my 1970 VW T2 early bay called Daisy. I didn't pass the MOT because the steering is getting too stiff. After inspection I cold see that the steering box is leaking. :(

I have been searching for a while and can't find anything on any retailers website. I am guessing this is the place to look/ask for.

Am I right that the part number for this steering box should be 214415049F? (214415049G is late bay?)
Has anyone got one that would make me pass the MOT?
What are my other options?

I want to try and see if I can fix the leak on the old one and put it back on.

Thank you

Daniel M

Correct part number.
There is a NOS one currently on eBay, however at the eye watering price of £875!
You take pot luck with used ones - ask yourself "why are they for sale ?".
Recon ones can also be a bit of a gamble.
Several people have gone down the late Bay box route as they can be fitted with certain mods to the chassis etc.

call out to GrahamL on EB rebuild you box.....
http://www.midlandearlybay.com/#!steering-box-rebuilds/qsv34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New pegs are available so why not pull it apart and see what's worn or damaged, new seals and bearings readily available so if casing/bushes and worm ok then re-build

I've had loads apart in the past and not many were beyond work, same with the old distributors, once re-built and re-shimmed they work wonderfully (provided they can be re-built)

Some guy is selling one for £100 on "The Earlybay Westfalia Group" on Facebook. May be worth checking out......

Harlequin said:
call out to GrahamL on EB rebuild you box.....
http://www.midlandearlybay.com/#!steering-box-rebuilds/qsv34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Yes we are currently rebuilding LHD & RHD boxes, we ideally rebuild your own box. We are finding the biggest reason for play is not the peg but the bearings in the box.

Latest posts