• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Rhd Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack jones

Reaction score
Im still looking for a Bay :(

Must be Rhd
Original colour wanted. Not respray
Needs to have Mot
No Bodywork issue, needs to be solid bus not rot box
Doesn't need to have a camping interior, would be a bonus.
Budget upto £10,000 for bus which has no mechanical issues or bodywork issues.

Money waiting for the right bus

I am asking for alot on my budget?

Just go for a left hand drive, then you will get what you want no problem - you'll soon get used to it! :D

the only way to get a rhd with no bodywork issues [ or minimal ] is a South african or an OZ bus.

Both are quite expensive to import from [shipping costs] , SA buses tend to get really really used, although we have a few very straight examples on here from SA. Oz buses are not as common in the UK, not sure why...probably the shipping and the fact they are not super cheap.

So most including myself have opted for LHD from the states, mine isn't rust free, but the rust that is there is easily fixable and I'm doing the first repair, most UK buses will be quite well gone rust wise or been patched multiple times.

For £7-8K you could import a US bus, and then have some money to convert to RHD if it really was a pain, most will say you musn't convert, but you'd get a pretty decent bus, and the resale wouldn't be too hampered because it'd been converted as the fact it's body would be in good nick, would outweigh the fact the bus wasn't as factory - if that makes sense?

This was my reasoning and tbh LHD is fine, the 'passenger' mirror does need to be on and setup correctly as in my Westy the rear wardrobe does create a blindspot, but the LHD in my mind creates a slight trepidation and therefore you are a better driver, and not complacent as we can be in our modern euroboxes......

I'd also buy the one with the best paint you can as repainting is very expensive in comparison to spannering new bits, also unless it is your hearts desire but a 69 onwards as I have found the '68 - one year only part curse' to be a little off putting at times and makes finding parts more tricky and more expensive in general, and the average punter wouldn't know a 68 only dash or clocks or westy top or...... :lol:

Grazzer said:
Just go for a left hand drive, then you will get what you want no problem - you'll soon get used to it! :D
Ive got Lhd drive van at the mo, the wife won't drive it and freaks out when Im driving down the lanes :evil: She trys to use the phantom brake :!:
So need a Rhd

dubdubz said:
the only way to get a rhd with no bodywork issues [ or minimal ] is a South african or an OZ bus.

Both are quite expensive to import from [shipping costs] , SA buses tend to get really really used, although we have a few very straight examples on here from SA. Oz buses are not as common in the UK, not sure why...probably the shipping and the fact they are not super cheap.

So most including myself have opted for LHD from the states, mine isn't rust free, but the rust that is there is easily fixable and I'm doing the first repair, most UK buses will be quite well gone rust wise or been patched multiple times.

For £7-8K you could import a US bus, and then have some money to convert to RHD if it really was a pain, most will say you musn't convert, but you'd get a pretty decent bus, and the resale wouldn't be too hampered because it'd been converted as the fact it's body would be in good nick, would outweigh the fact the bus wasn't as factory - if that makes sense?

This was my reasoning and tbh LHD is fine, the 'passenger' mirror does need to be on and setup correctly as in my Westy the rear wardrobe does create a blindspot, but the LHD in my mind creates a slight trepidation and therefore you are a better driver, and not complacent as we can be in our modern euroboxes......

I'd also buy the one with the best paint you can as repainting is very expensive in comparison to spannering new bits, also unless it is your hearts desire but a 69 onwards as I have found the '68 - one year only part curse' to be a little off putting at times and makes finding parts more tricky and more expensive in general, and the average punter wouldn't know a 68 only dash or clocks or westy top or...... :lol:

Thanks for the advice, I have been looking at the S.A buses been speaking to a few importers, it doesn't look like I can afford an early bay from S.A, They have a few late bays in my price range. The search continues........

jack jones said:
Grazzer said:
Ive got Lhd drive van at the mo, the wife won't drive it and freaks out when Im driving down the lanes :evil: She trys to use the phantom brake :!:
So need a Rhd[/quote

then I'd convert a decent LHD, it could be done so it'd be possible to convert back to LHD...........

Its a shame she wont go for a left hand drive. I have an awsome 68 For Sale, no mechanical issues, very orignal with a MOT Till Sept 11. Has been resprayed in original colors 8 years ago and is a LHD! Its well under your budget as due to emmigration i've gradually lowered him from 10k to happily except offers around 8k :-( cant take him all the way to Canada :-(. Thought I'd throw him in there! Post is under Matty H

Good Luck

Matt

Ps. I have never had issues finding parts for the bus in all the years ive owned it plus I have friends with 68's that havent struggled either!

Latest posts