Warbys 1969 VW early bay!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bb82510a1a387e8fc6b93457aff57465.jpg

6455ebfe5f3127adf45994adc05372e4.jpg

Where to start..... oh yer, we didn't make it to Brighton Breeze as the engine seized 10 miles outside on the A23! All was going well until we heard the sound of grinding/knocking metal so dipped the clutch and engine died, free wheeled onto the very generous 2ft hard shoulder in the pitch black on a very busy dual carriage way and the next thing a VW Sirocco came steaming passed and pulled up in front of us to lend a help in hand. We surveyed the grass verge and with the help of the 2 lads in the Sirocco pushed the van off the main road!

Firstly I need to thank them for the help as without them my van or my family might not see the funny side of things now as we would of surely been hit by the traffic on the dark road and left exposed on the A23. Don't know who they were but if anyone knows them then please send my gratitude to them for helping us out! Thank you!

Lets get back to it as it gets better, so with no engine we ring the recovery who eventually says we will be their within the hour but it could be 2 :shock: Made the call at 8 pm and they turn up at 10pm so we were stranded on the grass verge sat under blankets on the bank trying to keep warm with the wife and 2 kids plus 11 week old puppy! Loads of fun let me say!

Firstly he couldn't find us and then says cant recover you as need the Police to close the road oh and we don't carry dogs by which time the wife had had enough and said, OH YES YOU DO!

So waited another 15mins for the police to find us and close one lane of so we could get recovered. Again thanks to the recovery and police as working on main roads in pitch black is no fun, even with the tow trucks flood lights on and big flashing yellow lights plus the coppers Blue lights on people were still nearly hitting into the cop car!

Eventually got loaded up and on our way and arrived home at around 1am!

Pics from the night!

On the grass verge not far away at all form the road

With Coppers behind us

Being loaded

Getting Supplies for the driver

And arriving home

Next instalment.... The diagnosis :(

Feel for you :(
Breaking down is always a bitch, but when with family and pets I should imagine a lot worse....

I have heard a few people tell me that a lot of breakdown companies are doing the no pets rule (even though, when you ring up you tell them that you have a dog with you).
Very strange!!

Hope you get it all sorted :)

Mate that is bad news! Never great to break down but to be stuck on the side of such a fast road :shock:

Hope you get it sorted soon

Woz

Thanks guys.

So the diagnostics

Engine stripped and no 3 valve gave way! Damage to valve, heads, piston and cracked the barrel! Fack sake :cry:

Any way, pics of damage

ac40c9fca94553da879a1ae3e5a07b14.jpg

26391126b21417189ec4c87b32cb6346.jpg

50c9ec0fb935577e6ee93254a6b59bb0.jpg

24a4eccc705b8b021b87a4fca26f2fa0.jpg

16d339fd804b9f8a10ffa2b45b0bd187.jpg

79997fb301a14a8f5ae9bf83debf4f02.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(:(

After loosing the love :cry: , managed to find time and re build the engine with new pistons, barrels and heads. Got it fitted and connected up and today it came to life!! :D

Gotta set it all up now and check carb, timing etc to tune it up!!! Happy days are here again :mrgreen:

What a bitch the steering box removal is :evil:

After a bit of gentle persuasion and a little heat the pitman arm came free! :D

Steering box now off!! :p

Now to strip down and clean up.

The coupler wasn't to bad but it was split so have a new one to fit!!

Stripped the box down, cleaned up and de greased, sprayed in VW black, re sealed and put back together with new seals and filled up with oil!

I now have a leak free steering box 8)

Now back on Van and connected up!! Just need to straighten up the steering wheel! :msn4:

With a few days of work and the sun shining I have the love back!

Steering box feels sweet, installed and wired up temp sensor, adjusted all the brakes, checked shocks, fitted an empi quick shift plate - just got to adjust as first gear is a bit off and gave her a bit of a sort out inside!

Roll on the rest of the week! And hurry up post man with tow at :D

68_early_bay said:
dazza1975 said:
4b51cbda0a5828807d9a3b38783e7f1b.jpg

Seems well made! roll on tomorrow :mrgreen:

They are well made 8)

44ABFB16-75CF-4B4C-B9D2-BE69C1D3F5AA.jpg

I was impressed by your tow bar thread so bought one! Looking at the thickness of steel they are made with you could tow a tank!!

Now gotta fit it and then sort out my trailer I picked up!

Latest posts