water inside cab doors

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Volks - new to EB and new to EB vans. Recently bought a pristine '71 Westy Cal import - completely stock. Just replacing water damaged MDF cab door cards and need some tips on how to prevent water getting through lower window seal into door cavity. Seals seem in good condition but are obviously not water tight. Even the translucent plastic inter-liner didn't stop water from finding its way through the winder aperture. Now i've got the panels off I can see the water collecting in the channels every time it rains. Is there a way to prevent all water ingress into the door or am i dreaming of a white christmas. Any thoughts or tips on this would be useful.

Happy new year. :D

Welcome to Earlybay! Just to point out its the law round these parts to post up a picture of your bus so we can all drool over 8)

As for your doors check the window scrapers are in good condition as most are non existant (mine included). If that checks out well re-fit the polythene membrane to stop water damaging your door cards as water will always leak into the door. Then spray the inside of the door with loads of waxoyl and that should keep the rust at bay :D

Just

Yes the exterior window scraper does not do an awful lot - even when new.

A thing often forgotten is that, on the polythene glued to the door, there should be little flaps of extra polythene that hang into the bottoms of the apertures of the doors. This deflects the water away from getting stuck between the polythene and the door.

When these are in place and the drain holes in the bottm of the doors are clear you will have no problems. Theres quite a few 40 year old buses out there with still pristine door cards.

As posted, a wax type anti corrosion treatment inside the doors is vital.

Great tips! Thanks everyone. Waxoyl is already in place and I've varnished ply cards both sides. I'll also try the extra flap idea. I guess we're all resigned to water inside our doors so long as they're waxed, drains clear and polythene in place. Does anyone know the grade of the clear polythene and tape and/or where to get it. I'm guessing it's not just any old plastic.

Just had another idea: Door cards could be made in the same black plastic material as used for kick panels - this way they'd never warp. It looks like 3mm HDPE which can easily be laser cut. I'll keep you all posted if it starts to look interesting.

Sorry no van pics yet - they're on my Mac which has gone into meltdown . I'll post some asap.

Try this seller on ebay. julia4944

I just bought and fitted these clear plastic door card sheets yesterday. They fit perfectly although I think this seller is currently out of stock at the mo.

Latest posts