Weber 34 ict and their set up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, as these carbs don't have chokes, starting from cold, tick over will always be lumpy until warmed up.

Due to only having single throttles, on tick over, a VW engine will only run on two cylinders. A balance pipe will between each manifold will help but not essential.

If you can, get away from the 009 dizzy as well. A vacuum advance one will make acceleration smoother and lower engine temps.

I know all this because this is what I had to do to mine to get it to run correctly. But start with the regulator or you are wasting your time.

Andy_sheff said:
I'm currently having issues. The problem I have is up the revs, ticks over fine, low revs is ok, but as soon as you get your foot down it hesitates badly, and really struggles on a hill

Also sounds a bit like fuel starvation. Have you tried taking a fuel line off the pump outlet, cranking the engine and ensuring you're getting a decent flow of fuel. Should be a generous spurt and not a dribble!

I have ICT's on my bug which has a standard fuel pump, 110 cam, 1641cc match ported and polished heads and manifolds.

After a couple of hours on a rolling road and changing the jetting about it was pushing out 75bhp at the wheels.

So it can be done

Oh yeah, vacuum advance with Petronix igniter kit too!

Pete B said:
Have been thinking about the 34 ict setup. Do eurocarb and other supliers inform the customer that jet changes are required for install on a VW? If so, do they offer the appropriate parts FOC? If not, then that is pretty poor considering they advertise the kits specifically for 'our' engines. Obviously with ported heads, bigger valves, alternative cam etc, jetting is most likely to need fettling, but for a standard engine it should be right when advertised and sold as a kit for that application. Or am I completely wrong and they make it very clear that it is nowhere near correct, 'go sort it yourself' ?

Stop pissing about Pete mine are in a box I. The garage with your name on them

SkutterBob said:
As mentioned before, the stock pump is too much for carbs. You need to drop the pressure to below 3.5psi before you can do any kind of tuning/diagnostics. I have one of these and mine runs fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260967885010?redirect=mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was browsing regs the other day, that's a good price! Just ordered one! Hopefully I have all the right gear now it might just be a case of setting it up right

VeeDubMan said:
Andy_sheff said:
I'm currently having issues. The problem I have is up the revs, ticks over fine, low revs is ok, but as soon as you get your foot down it hesitates badly, and really struggles on a hill

Also sounds a bit like fuel starvation. Have you tried taking a fuel line off the pump outlet, cranking the engine and ensuring you're getting a decent flow of fuel. Should be a generous spurt and not a dribble!

I don't think it's fuel starvation as the more you put your foot down the worse it is, also there's some black soot on the back bumper, I suspect excess fuel

Andy_sheff said:
VeeDubMan said:
Andy_sheff said:

I don't think it's fuel starvation as the more you put your foot down the worse it is, also there's some black soot on the back bumper, I suspect excess fuel
I had the same issue on my old bug's 1776cc twin 40 Del'd engine. OK at low revs but put your foot down, the carbs would empty quicker than the pump was filling them up, the engine would splutter and I'd have no speed or power. Back off the power, carbs refilled, OK again at low revs but then same thing again. Drove me mad until I found the electric fuel pump filter was blocked with crud from the tank restricting the flow of fuel. As soon as I cleared that, happy days!

VeeDubMan said:

I don't think it's fuel starvation as the more you put your foot down the worse it is, also there's some black soot on the back bumper, I suspect excess fuel[/quote]
I had the same issue on my old bug's 1776cc twin 40 Del'd engine. OK at low revs but put your foot down, the carbs would empty quicker than the pump was filling them up, the engine would splutter and I'd have no speed or power. Back off the power, carbs refilled, OK again at low revs but then same thing again. Drove me mad until I found the electric fuel pump filter was blocked with crud from the tank restricting the flow of fuel. As soon as I cleared that, happy days![/quote]

Ahh bet that problem took some finding! Ile give that a check whilst I'm at it :mrgreen:

Swapped the jets over and new gaskets etc, bolted them up today and the difference is massive, pulls loads stronger now with no hesitation.. I've not got the fuel reg on yet

SkutterBob said:
As mentioned before, the stock pump is too much for carbs. You need to drop the pressure to below 3.5psi before you can do any kind of tuning/diagnostics. I have one of these and mine runs fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260967885010?redirect=mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed. This is what I'm assuming has happened in my case. Take a look at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-IjXRNUGJedPUncXE6nXKIO_LSpeV3Ca?usp=sharing

I had the stock pump feeding the carbs for some-time and little did I realise the bad running was down to some serious over-fuelling due to a needle-valve in the carb wearing and the ball-bearing getting stuck so the float chamber would over flow feeding too much fuel into the combustion chamber, passed the piston rings and into the crank-case. The damage done to the bearing seats in the crankcase looks to be a reaction of extreme heat and pressure. I'd done a couple of thousand miles like this before I realised the error!

New engine being built now. Same carbs (rebuilt) but now got a Filter King which has has a pressure regulator built in. Much better for these 34ICT's.

For reference if Eurocarb are out of stock of F6 emulsions, ClassicCarbs in the midlands appears to have plenty in stock.

Latest posts