Welding / Welders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Clarke Turbo Mig from Machine Mart.
The Turbo helps with the cooling and lets you weld more without you having to wait to cool down. ( from memory i think this is correct )

I sold mine a while back as realised that i made more holes welding than i already started with :roll:

Keep your eyes peeling in the free ads such as loot.

I got a Clark Gasless MIG welder - mainly because I'm not organised enough to make sure I've got enough wire and gas!

Get the highest rated welder you can afford - you'll get more control and flexibility!

Oh, and an auto-darkening face mask is a real bonus as it frees up your hands nicely...

;)

kempy said:
I sold mine a while back as realised that i made more holes welding than i already started with :roll:
This is the reason i want a cheap second hand mig, the more i spend on a welder the less i spend on the bus, on a limited budget (if these exist) :wink:

I bought a Clarke 151 here-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARKE-PRO-GAS-GASLES-150-AMP-PRO-GARAGE-MIG-WELDER_W0QQitemZ170188910670QQihZ007QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great welder and you can upgrade to gas when funds allow.

gasless welders weld like crap tbh, i wouldnt touch them. theres no point in buying a crap welder as youll end up with crap welds and spend more time repairing and grinding to get it right. your better to invest £50 more on a welder and go for something good. i have a 150 amp mig/mag which cost £100 brand new and i use the cans from halford about £9 each argon/co2 mix.

if your patient you can get brand new or good second hand welders for a bargain on ebay.

OK so im better off waiting for a gas mig welder, but what ampage?
i take it the higher the better or would a 90A suffice?

froggy said:
OK so im better off waiting for a gas mig welder, but what ampage?
i take it the higher the better or would a 90A suffice?

If you're only going to weld repro panels you would do better to look at the lowest amps the set will run at. Let me explain..

If you have a set and the lowest setting is 35 amps then you may find this to hot for thin panel work. Ok so you could travel the torch quicker so as not to put to much heat into a concentrated area but the chances are if you're new to welding you will move slowly.

Does that make sense?

The wider the amp range the better and the more selections the better. 10 settings is better than 4, allows more control. A good range may be 20amp to 180ish, this would do everything from very thin panel up to about 6mm plate. More if you v groove the edges.

Another issue with cheap sets is the wire feed, most problems with MIG are to do with the feed. You really get what you pay for. Look for a nice big powerful wire feed motor.

Save you pennys and get the best thing you can.

T

I use a 180 SnapOn welder which is made by Cebora,top unit 15years use no problems.Before that was using a Cebora 130amp turbo which would deal with bodypanels upto 6mm plate again no major problems.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-SIEGEN-130-Amp-Portable-Mig-Welding-Welder-Kit_W0QQitemZ160186359569QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Didn`t seem to bad!!

Hi there,

I own a Lorch 2060, a very forgiving welder, even on wrong settings (slight) it will still weld agreably, thus allowing various thicknesses of steel welded without too much toggling the settings.

Bought it for 750 quid

Not cheap but nearly new and with gassbottle and still under warranty.

This is it:
01122007046.jpg

I have a brand new Berlan (german) BMIG140 welder forsale

heres the spec...

Typ SGA inert-gas welding unit BMIG140
Power supply 230V ~ 50 Hz
No-Load-Voltage 34 V
Fuse 16 A
Welding current 40 ~ 140 A
Welding levels 4 (1 - 2 min. / max.)
Welding Wire thickness (steel) ø 0,6 ~ 0,8 mm
Welding Wire thickness (aluminium) ø 0,8 ~ 1 mm
Welding Wire thickness (inox) ø 0,8 mm
Isolation class H
Protection class IP21
Dimensions (WxHxD) 800 x 450 x 570 mm
Weight ~ 32 kg

some pics......

11246b.jpg

4877_1.JPG

the unit retails at around 350 euro, this one cost me £200 all in. im looking £175 posted but am open to offers.

reson for selling is im going for a bigger portamig 221 as i have a few projects that will require 5-8mm steel welded, this berlan will easily weld up to 4mm

Latest posts