Which welder to buy...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinketpimp

Reaction score
Hello All, I am going to make a start on my 65 bug and decided to do it myself as I can't find someone to do it for peanuts....
So, I am looking to spend a couple of hundred quid on a gasless mig. Does anyone have enough knowledge on this subject to recommend which one to go for please.

Don`t buy a cheap one you will regret it.I work for myself & do a lot of fabrication.I have a Esab caddy mig which I carry in the van which is the best small mig I have used has a long duty cycle & never let me down.

A gasless mig is ok if you’re a decent welder anyway. Learning to weld on gasless is a lot harder unless you have a decent welder / person with you to steer you as you’re learning. Most good welders would steer away from gasless anyway because it’s not very good. When people try to learn as they go and use gasless, most might as well use bluetack. I’m trying hard here to be un biased, non labelling and not judgemental on others efforts etc :shock:
Show a welder some peeps efforts with gasless and they’d laugh at it, before and after it’s ground down :x More importantly, mot and safety, an mot tester has to assume that any work done like welding, is done to a decent standard and structural safety has not been compromised by pigeons poop welding and layers of under seal.
So get a decent set up, possibly second hand and consult the welding forums who will advise you as a novice from start to finish. The key to it , is get the very best kit you can afford, and consumables, and practice, destroy, practice, destroy etc etc until you can do it reasonably well. Don’t practice on your motor :evil: It’s ever so easy to practice welding on a bench, it gets a lot harder under a car / van in cramped conditions welding something under your chin and trying not to swallow sparks or let them jump up your sleeve :shock:
Welding is really not like glue or panel seal adhesives, and this is when you’ll have your trusty grinder out and you’ll find out the reality of how much rust there is in your veeeehickle :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, good luck, but practice loads and loads first :mrgreen:

P.S. could you borrow one perhaps or hire ? :mrgreen:

Latest posts