Westfalia Plywood Floor Question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eeza

Reaction score
I am currently refreshing the interior of my Westy and the actual wooden floor is not present. It looks like the original came in four parts.

There are two large panels , a Sub floor (to even out the surface) and then a floor cover to provide a good base for the units etc., there are also two "fillers" that I assume cover some cut outs as it looks like both floor sections are rectangular in shape

Here's a picture:

Campmobilefloorpicture.jpg

Now doing some online research it looks like the floor sizes are as follows (This is an average from three different posts that take into account potentially tired measures and dodgy eyes :lol: )

Sub Floor : 1290 mm Wide and 1305 Front to Back
Top Cover : 1525 mm Wide and 1305 Front to Back

My westy bed unit is the standard 3/4 type and looking at these front to back measurements i am a little confused.

I measured the bed base (floor) as being 350 mm front to back and 1185 mm wide. The side supports measure 350 mm for the left side net to the wardrobe and 235 mm for the Right side next to the 1/4 light Window opening (This measurement is at the bottom where its bolted to the seat base.

The Floor measures 1600 mm or thereabouts Front to Back (I am beginning to doubt this :oops: ) so this means that the bed base would not sit right on the floor if the measurements I have above are correct.

I.E Westy top floor is 1305 mm Front to Back and my Bed base is 350 mm Front to Back = 1655 mm ??

I want my install to be as faithful to the original as practical but I am a little confused. Does the Westy bed sit ontop of the Floor structure or does the base of the bed provide part of the floor structure ?

I am thinking I may install a complete floor covering all of the metal and then reduce the height of my bed base accordingly so that the foam fits level as it should.

What do you guys think? I looked at Molers thread on his bed install into his Split and it looks like he fitted it directly to the floor.

Is this the best way?

I will draw up these measurements up into a document that I will post here so others can make use of it as a template for making their own furniture.

(As an aside I would love to have the measurements of the rear roof shelf if anyone has them?

Comments and what have you done please. Oh and sorry if this should have been posted in technical

Hi,

I dont have any measurements, as i have put my interior back in, but have a look on my gallery thread, as i have pictures in there you may be able to take a reference from. The front part of the bed sits on the wooden floor, and the rear is supported on little blocks. The wood doesnt go all the way back

Cheers!

Alistair

Alastair

Thanks for the reply, I have had a look right through your thread in the Gallery and its very informative, funny how we try to make the vehicle as good as it was when new and yet the bed is supported on blocks :mrgreen:

Makes my measurements seem more plausible now so cheers buddy

Hi,

No worries, hope it helped a bit, sorry i had no actual measurements. Yeah, i was surprised when i took the bed out and it's on little blocks, when i refitted i stuck a cork square underneath as my floor is a little higher than normal, only by maybe 2mm, in theory it should be still level.

Cheers!

Alistair

OK Having completed the floor on my Westy I have taken some measurements and pictures, if you need to replace your floor and want to do it with 8 x 4 sheets this may help.

Its a zip file and contains two files a word doc and an excel spreadsheet, I have not 100% finished the spready but you can use
this as a cutting plan.. :shock:

http://www.eeza.co.uk/Camper/Westyfloor.zip

Cheers :p

aogrady said:
Hi,

No worries, hope it helped a bit, sorry i had no actual measurements. Yeah, i was surprised when i took the bed out and it's on little blocks, when i refitted i stuck a cork square underneath as my floor is a little higher than normal, only by maybe 2mm, in theory it should be still level.
Cheers!
Alistair
hmm this is a very much nice info dude thanks for sharing such a really much nice info dude. 8)

The westy bed sits on top of the floor
Look at this thread if it helps
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichardAlexander said:
The westy bed sits on top of the floor
Look at this thread if it helps
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine didn't, I replaced mine exactly how it came out and under the bed was just the metal floor with two blocks for the bed, mine is a U.S. import so maybe there's a difference?

Just to confuse matters, does anyone know if the bed/ seat base on a Berlin interior sits on the cargo floor, little blocks, or on the floor board(s)??????????? :?

& why 2 lots of ply????

9mm then 5 mm????

Am hoping to at least start the flooring today !!!!! :roll:

Hi lee 6mm then 3mm the 6mm is used to provide a solid level base cut around all the bits and pieces then the 3mm goes over the top to finish all off, then which ever floor covering you chose I think it is so the top stuff can be replaced through ware and tear with out having to replace the whole thing, oh and mines a standard Westy and the bed the buddy seat the sink all sit on top of the ply no blocks

Lee this is how my 70 Westy floor was when i removed the interior, I assume that it's original as it has a bit of the original floor covering on it.
The bed base covered the bit of vinyl you can see in the pic

zy7atyga.jpg

Yeah, I've sort of steamed ahead & done it the wrong/a different way!!!

I worked out why 2 layers should be used, but I'd already bought wood & started by then :roll: :oops:

Latest posts