Westfalia / Westy Continental Roof Double Bed 68 to 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our 1969 bus is being restored and we will be after one of theses early next year once its had a new paint job

Jonnysue said:
Our 1969 bus is being restored and we will be after one of theses early next year once its had a new paint job

Good luck with all of the work, and give me a call 3 weeks in advance.
Regards
Jon

Fitted our new bed from Faux this afternoon and I am over the moon with it. I fitted it myself and it took around 2 hours in total and not a single wear word was used! I climbed on for a test (11 stone) and there was not so much as a squeak, it is absolutely solid and the instructions were extremely concise.

Top job, thank you very much!!!

NellyM said:
Fitted our new bed from Faux this afternoon and I am over the moon with it. I fitted it myself and it took around 2 hours in total and not a single wear word was used! I climbed on for a test (11 stone) and there was not so much as a squeak, it is absolutely solid and the instructions were extremely concise.

Top job, thank you very much!!!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like it, let me know what your daughter thinks after her first night in it? I know my son can't wait for the warmer weather.

Well.. this week I got my bed up and running in our camper... So we had to test it out.... I will take some detailed pics of the installation and post them soon... but I thought I would share some of the excitement my 4 yr old daughter had for her new "hide-out" in our camper Blue Bessie this weekend camping at Bellows Air Force base in Oahu, Hawaii. She and her sister and the two dogs spent a good amount of time up there last evening... This thing really makes our camper so much more useful for our family...

Aloha,
Ryan

66874_10151311050612470_1768365942_n_zpse585298a.jpg

540659_10151311050097470_1880572624_n_zps5987c210.jpg

547223_10151311050837470_1534615994_n_zpse1e8d52e.jpg

644470_10151311050952470_2082536478_n_zpsc3d1b875.jpg

539580_10151311051307470_26103006_n_zps485bd946.jpg

Finally got the continental bed fitted, when Bromsgrove auto trimmers did the headlining. The bed looks great and we have a very excited 3 yr. old girl who can't wait to try her bed out..
Thanks a lot

Will do, we'll even try to get our daughter in the photo giving the 'new bed' the thumbs up :-D

Hi i have sourced some brackets etc, but just wanted to know the dimensions of the ply boards (length width and thickness) so it fits in the roof. much appreciated

This is still one of the best things I have bought for my bus - the kids love it - I love it - I have had many a sunday afternoon snooze when we've been camping...

Also I have attached gas rams recently to the bed, so we can push the bed up and it stays put - pics when I get a chance

Dear Jon,

I book marked this post months.. no a year or so ago! I had just bought 1971 early bay and shipped it back from the CA, USA. He is fab and now undergoing major restoration work. One of the 'wish list items' is a double bed for 'upstairs' ... are you still manufacturing and supplying them?

I would be really interested to chat. I need to source something for early September.. 2013.

Let me know..

Best wishes,

Gary

Gary I just bought one of these, I am more than pleased with the quality of the kit, it is awesome.
I am picking it back up from the trimmers on Wednesday so could post a few picks if you like.

Hi I would like to order one of your beds.
Im just wondering what you are making and what is avaiable to order (regarding kits or complete beds).
Regards
Paul.

faux said:
I have been working hard for the past few months, with my good friend Rusty Lee, to produce the illusive Continental bed.

This has been done before, I know, and there are still some original ones out there but there are a few issues. The ones I have seen reproduced don't really resemble the original ones and an original one doesn't fit a >72 bus very well.

So the plan was to make a bed that looked and worked as closely to the original as possible but would fit the slightly longer and narrower Earlybay Westy roof opening.

We have now done it and wanted to share them with you guys on Earlybay first to gauge the response before opening up sales to the wider VW scene.

The beds come complete with all fixtures and fittings:
* Upholstery, nuts, bolts and screws.
* The drop down bar that holds up the head rest (This has been adapted slightly to work with the early bay roof).
* Blanking bolts to replace the black roof handle (which is best removed).
* Designed for children (approx 12.5 stone, 80kg)

The material is an off white vinyl as I can no longer get the mustard corduroy that I was using.

Here are some pics of the prototype. Please let us know what you think.

The price is £265 for everything and I can also offer fitting if needed, but will be happy to give any advice needed.

+ £5 if you want it packaging - a lot of time, tape and Wrap is needed :shock:

In folded position:
IMG_0175.jpg

Layed out flat:
IMG_0179-1.jpg

Head rest bar and fixings:
IMG_0177.jpg

(These will also be available for 73/74 front hinging late bays)

For our overseas buddies we can do it in kit form for £125, with instructions and measurements of course :lol:
(£125 delivered to uk, £130 delivered in Europe, £135 to the US and Canada)

IMG_0241.jpg

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

Jon 07801 627195

Hi Jon, been a while since I bought it but just wanted to say thanks for the kit, really impressed with it, and how easy it was to fit.
Makes such a difference, and the kids absolutely love it, and people are surprised its not an original part of the van.
I managed to build it , fit it and fit a new poptop canvas all in one day, albeit a long day (8am - 10pm) so was well pleased.
I used 12mm ply as I had a spare sheet in the garage, which works fine (just had to use a few shorter screws).
Been away camping and it keeps the kids occupied for hours - superb.
Thanks again, Sean.

Slads said:
Hi Jon, been a while since I bought it but just wanted to say thanks for the kit, really impressed with it, and how easy it was to fit.
Makes such a difference, and the kids absolutely love it, and people are surprised its not an original part of the van.
I managed to build it , fit it and fit a new poptop canvas all in one day, albeit a long day (8am - 10pm) so was well pleased.
I used 12mm ply as I had a spare sheet in the garage, which works fine (just had to use a few shorter screws).
Been away camping and it keeps the kids occupied for hours - superb.
Thanks again, Sean.
Thanks Sean
Glad you find it usefull.
Jon

Hi Jon,

I've just purchased a 1970 westy and was wondering if you are still producing these beds? If so is it possible to courier the complete bed or do you only do the DIY kits if pick up is not possible ?

Many Thanks

Steve

Bobster said:
Hi Jon,

I've just purchased a 1970 westy and was wondering if you are still producing these beds? If so is it possible to courier the complete bed or do you only do the DIY kits if pick up is not possible ?

Many Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve
I have sent you a pm.
Jon

Just to let people know, I have had to revise the postage costs:

£140 posted in UK, £145 to europe and £150 to the US and Canada. The kit includes everything except the wood, foam and upholstery.

There is normally a 3 week turn around.

Thanks

Jon

Latest posts