Westfalia / Westy Continental Roof Double Bed 68 to 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Telford Mulisha said:
Hi Jon

Finally got round to installing one of your roof beds into my Westy (which is awesome by the way) and I have a small problem... The new toggle handle wont fit into the original bracket on the camper.

I guess I need to source some earlier/later brackets, is that right? (or buy some more off you as supplied with the kit)
I dont really want to drill anymore holes unless absolutely necessary...

Any advice would be grateful

Thanks

Nik

2012-02-24131849.jpg

2012-02-24132252.jpg

2012-02-05152934.jpg

Hi Nik
As far as I am aware they brackets were the same for all years. Have you got pics of the problem?
Jon

Thats wierd, the pics show in your post of my quote but not in my post...I'd better message Jonny.

Anyway, it's as if there's too much meat on the rubber toggle to get it into the original brackets even with a good stretch. If fits nice into the new brackets.
Can you see what I'm saying?

Nik

HI Jon
Just looked through the pictures on this thread... The brackets on my Westy are different to yours, check the pictures out

Yours
fauxpost.jpg

Mine

2012-02-24131849.jpg

The original roof clamp.

2012-02-24163410.jpg

Need to source some later original brackets now.

Cheers
Nik

Hi
Yes it looks like the clips on your bus are not original ones or at least I have never seen them before. You could ask some of the guys in the states who seem to get hold of these easier than here.
Jon

Hi jon
Just finding out if you have plenty of the kits as i am going to be after one for the summer also
can you tell me if an adult and child with the right size thickness board can sleep on this bed

cheers shaun

Valentine Won said:
Hi jon
Just finding out if you have plenty of the kits as i am going to be after one for the summer also
can you tell me if an adult and child with the right size thickness board can sleep on this bed

cheers shaun

Hi Shaun
The kits will remain available as long as Rusty Lee makes the brackets and as long as I can get the parts. If you want to put foam on it and upholster it the you can only really use the 15mm ply, which is pretty rigid. I would be happy to sleep on it (12 stone) plus one other up to 8 stone ish. However I have rated it at 80kg to be on the safe side. You could use 18mm ply and just keep foam in the rear cargo area when the bed is not in use. This should be good for 100kg.
Jon

faux said:
Valentine Won said:
Hi jon

cheers shaun

Hi Shaun
The kits will remain available as long as Rusty Lee makes the brackets and as long as I can get the parts. If you want to put foam on it and upholster it the you can only really use the 15mm ply, which is pretty rigid. I would be happy to sleep on it (12 stone) plus one other up to 8 stone ish. However I have rated it at 80kg to be on the safe side. You could use 18mm ply and just keep foam in the rear cargo area when the bed is not in use. This should be good for 100kg.
Jon

I am 11 stone and my girl is 9 so should be ok, just!
also i am going to have the same problem as the guy with the different brkts for the toggles as i have the same and mine is a 69 as well
cheers jon i will get back to you when i am ready for the kit

Hi Jon,

Could you put me down for one of these please fella.. No rush to get it, just next time you are making some up please put my name on one....

Gimme a shout when you're planning on doing it and we'll discuss options for upholstery....

Cheers

Carl

Shorty said:
Hi Jon,

Could you put me down for one of these please fella.. No rush to get it, just next time you are making some up please put my name on one....

Gimme a shout when you're planning on doing it and we'll discuss options for upholstery....

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl
There is normally a 3 week turnaround on these. I will give you a shout when I am ready to start on yours. If I haven't got hold of you in the next couple of weeks send me a reminder.
Thanks
Jon

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to Jon and what a great service
instructions were spot on
my girl will be well pleased that she does not have to sleep on that roof hammock any more

cheers shaun

Just to make sure people know, there have been a few changes to the beds.

*The foot cushions are no longer available due to customer feedback (no real need for it).
*The beds come in off white vinyl as the mustard corduroy is no longer in production. (I can still cover in the fabric of your choice.)
*The ply used is now 15mm (not 12mm) which is rated to 12.5 stone, 80kg.
*The cost is £265 and I can also offer fitting if needed.
*£5 if you want it packaging - a lot of time, tape and Wrap is needed.
*I can bring beds to some shows, they can be picked up from my house or you can arrange for a courier.
*In kit form they come with instructions and measurements and cost: £125 delivered to uk, £130 delivered in Europe, £135 to the US and Canada.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

Jon 07801 627195

Jon i might be after a curtain strap, it poss will be a little longer than a standard size i will get a measurement and let you know.
I presume you are still doing them?

cheers shaun

Valentine Won said:
Jon i might be after a curtain strap, it poss will be a little longer than a standard size i will get a measurement and let you know.
I presume you are still doing them?

cheers shaun

Yes I can still do them, just let me know what size.
Jon

Absolutely brilliant piece of work and product and a reasonable price for all the work that has gone into it. Looks great and fits perfectly in our 70 Westy. Thanks Jon and Rusty.

nickmurrayleslie said:
Absolutely brilliant piece of work and product and a reasonable price for all the work that has gone into it. Looks great and fits perfectly in our 70 Westy. Thanks Jon and Rusty.

I'm really glad you are happy with the bed.
If you have any pictures that would be great.
Jon

Hello

I bought the DIY kit, and followed the nice instructions sheet.
(and thanks to Faux for the extra set of instructions you've quickly mailed after i lost the first set.)
So felt it was a bit impolite not to respond here

Spent a Sunday building and mounting the bed, and have now used it twice.

It works perfect for my 2 boys, 5 and 10 years old.
they slept until 9.30 in the morning..and that is unusual.

And the fitting is good, I've added a soft rubber plate between the bed and roof, just to avoid the bed touching the roof (= scratching), when the kids are bumping around up there.

So thanks for the good initiative sending this one on the market
might even find a picture or 2..later

Maybe you should create an outside ladder, so the kids can go down that way. One thats uses the tire as a pressure point and fixes on the integrated roofrack..

Regards
R.

kleinbusRonnie said:
Hello

I bought the DIY kit, and followed the nice instructions sheet.
(and thanks to Faux for the extra set of instructions you've quickly mailed after i lost the first set.)
So felt it was a bit impolite not to respond here

Spent a Sunday building and mounting the bed, and have now used it twice.

It works perfect for my 2 boys, 5 and 10 years old.
they slept until 9.30 in the morning..and that is unusual.

And the fitting is good, I've added a soft rubber plate between the bed and roof, just to avoid the bed touching the roof (= scratching), when the kids are bumping around up there.

So thanks for the good initiative sending this one on the market
might even find a picture or 2..later

Maybe you should create an outside ladder, so the kids can go down that way. One thats uses the tire as a pressure point and fixes on the integrated roofrack..

Regards
R.

I'm glad it worked for you, the response seems to be really good for the kits. This is a really cost effective way of doing it for those of our overseas friends.

Please put some pictures up of your handy work.

Jon

Latest posts