Westfalia / Westy Continental Roof Double Bed 68 to 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pickles said:
we dont have a roof bed in our 72 westy but are interested in having one, excuse my ignorance but how does this work :?:

I dont understand how you get up in the roof and then fold the head rest bit up :?:

Am I just being stuupid ... probably

Baz

The fold down part acts like a hatch ( attic door ).
Climb up through the gap and pull it up into position. It is hinged and held in by clips which release when pulled. As the hatch lifts up, there is a bar fixed to the roof which folds down to hold it in place.

It is exactly the same design Westfalia used in their continentals.

Feel free to give me a call to ask questions.

Jon

Used the one Jon made and fitted in our westy continental for the first time this weekend. Used by an adult not children, and he was very comfortable and slept like a log.

No hassle clambering up through the hatch. Well worth it, especially if you are going to use this bed space often, its a very well made bit of kit :D

I just received mine in the mail this week. I am looking forward to putting it all together.. I post pics when I am done. I got the Yankee kit, so I have to go find some nice ply wood this week.

Hello,
I am new to this forum.
I am looking to purchase the DIY kit for the upper double bed for my 1971 Westy. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
I live in California, therefore I assume the DIY kit is the only option for me.

Thank you very much, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

maxlucaoak said:
Hello,
I am new to this forum.
I am looking to purchase the DIY kit for the upper double bed for my 1971 Westy. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
I live in California, therefore I assume the DIY kit is the only option for me.

Thank you very much, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hi John
I am waiting on a few parts and will post up when ready.

Jon

Hi Mark.
Yes, I'm doing one or two here and there. Not easy with my new job and the new arrival. I prefere to sell the kits. I'm waiting on a few parts at the moment but let me know what you need an your timescale and I'll try my best.
Jon

Will do, I think he wants a full bed, fabric choice probably not too crucial.. they bought an early bay westy on the strength of me telling them you did these beds :lol:

Hi Jon

Credit where its due, these conti beds are ace!!!!!!!

I'd like to buy a kit off you please. I have a '69 westy.

Send me a pm regarding total costs (P&P) and payment details, no rush I've plenty to be getting on with.

Out of interest what thickness foam do you use? I was thinking of making the cushions seperately and fastening some velcro to the covers and plywood, so they're removable.

Cheers
Nik

Hi
Yes I can put a kit together for you for Dubfreeze.
There are instructions with dimensions with the kit.

Text me your number so I can call you when I'm there.

Jon 07801 627195

Hi Jon

Finally got round to installing one of your roof beds into my Westy (which is awesome by the way) and I have a small problem... The new toggle handle wont fit into the original bracket on the camper.

I guess I need to source some earlier/later brackets, is that right? (or buy some more off you as supplied with the kit)
I dont really want to drill anymore holes unless absolutely necessary...

Any advice would be grateful

Thanks

Nik

2012-02-24131849.jpg

2012-02-24132252.jpg

2012-02-05152934.jpg

Latest posts