Westy pop top info needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
I always wanted a pop top westy .

Due to my boys getting bigger the day may come at some point when I have to change my 68 panel van for a camper that can accommodate my growing family.
At the mo we sleep two adults n two small boys in our tin top but its only gonna get more cramped!

I feel a bit gutted cos my van is now looking really nice and its in such good condition that ill never be lucky to find something like it
The other prob I have is its in such good condition I'm always worried when the kids are tearing around n get paranoid there gonna scratch something , maybe a tatty camper would be less worrying to own lol
I don't think I'm quite ready to let it go yet ? and will prob for now carry on finishing it off as I'm very nearly there!

I have still gotta look more in depth into better awnings that we could sleep the kids in but my wife may not like the kids sleeping separate to us ?
Who knows maybe ill get to keep it if I could work out these issues ?
If not maybe a westy is the answer , one that's solid but needs T L C which could be done once the kids are older and no longer holidaying with us in years to come ( when there not gonna trash it lol )

Can anyone give any ideas or suggestions to my prob ?

Anyway some questions for u westy owners

Can u explain the difference in the different pop tops , some hinge from the front , some the back ..... Why ? Is one bigger than the other ? What years were these both made ?
I think some have hammock style beds n some more of a board across the full width of the roof with a thin mattress on is this correct ?
How many body's can u sleep up there ?

Thanks James

All early bays and crossover will have front hinged pop tops, rear hinging started around 1974. Upto 72 there was a single hammock bed in the roof, from 72/3 onwards they fitted a full width bed up there, Rusty Lee and faux on here make and sell reproduction versions of these that can be fitted to all early bays.
How old are your boys? A westy should accommodate the four of you if they are relatively young, you can use an awning for sleeping in but that plan does have its drawbacks.

Thanks clem
So what I would need is an early bay westy with a reproduction full width bed.
My boys are just over five and one , but I'm a short a#se so I recon they will be to
Roughly what's the max length of the bed area up top ?

Good luck finding one it only took me 6 months to find my old samba no such luck with a early bay westy

I don't know how big the bed is up top, but my 14 year old daughter is still happy to sleep up there, she's tall too. My son, at 12, still uses the cab bunk. I think he's too big, but he claims it's comfy and he doesn't complain, so can't be too bad. He doesn't use beer to help either, like me.

We've got one of faux's beds in the roof which I think is more practical for us. Details in the traders bit

Just had a look at the beds , there ideal !
Mmmmm got me thinking now
I think it's what we are gonna need :?

My daughter is 11 now and still in the cab bunk bed :D

Sorry to b a pain chaps
Can anyone tell me the stock hight of a westy and also hight of one slightly lowered ( not slammed
Thanks v much

Been hunting around for info

Seems 1.9 meters high if using dropped spindles

So if I wanted a pop top in my garage it would fit ( stock ) if I changed my garage door or fit in with existing door if bus was lowered

What are the different ways of lowering a bus and how do the costs vary?

Mines a Westy Tintop but I'm fitting a dormobile roof to it as I much prefer them in terms of look, size, light, and head room. Got one more trip out this year then the conversion begins!

Im going to stick my neck out here and give you my opinion. VW campers in general, regardless of the conversion are the greatest vehicle around. We all know that or we wouldn't be here. However lets be honest guys they are crap to tour in when you have a family. They're ok for couples and for day trips and a night or 2 here and there but that's about it. If you're keen on touring, then get yourself a nice little caravan to tow behind your daily and use the panel for fun and shows. Loads of people will disagree and say they camp in their bus' all the time but actually, how comfortable and convenient is it?

I see where your coming from !
But me n my family go away to shows n quiet camping ( I must admit fairly locally ) and have a really great time. We manage to fit two young boys in the panel van plus me n wifey on the r n r bed with a large awning.
Yes having a touring camper or caravan would be a lot more luxurious but I love being in a vw.
Mrs shippas don't won't me to sell my panel van n I'm undecided but I'm sure a pop tops gotta be handy for family's ........ Hasn't it ?

I've got a customer ( super loaded ) there into horses n have got a new horse box , u know one of thoz ones that extend out to make a large living area. She let me have a look inside it the other week

Never seen anything like it :shock:

Sky tv , couches , kitchen , bedroom , shower room , two tvs
She recons some are £300,000 +

Different world some people live in lol

shiplee123 said:
I see where your coming from !
But me n my family go away to shows n quiet camping ( I must admit fairly locally ) and have a really great time. We manage to fit two young boys in the panel van plus me n wifey on the r n r bed with a large awning.
Yes having a touring camper or caravan would be a lot more luxurious but I love being in a vw.
Mrs shippas don't won't me to sell my panel van n I'm undecided but I'm sure a pop tops gotta be handy for family's ........ Hasn't it ?

Fair enough James. I guess you've answered your own question. :D It appears your panel van is working for you and it's clear the family is in love with it, so keep it and enjoy your trips away. You can always get something else down the track. ;)

aspro said:
Im going to stick my neck out here and give you my opinion. VW campers in general, regardless of the conversion are the greatest vehicle around. We all know that or we wouldn't be here. However lets be honest guys they are crap to tour in when you have a family. They're ok for couples and for day trips and a night or 2 here and there but that's about it. If you're keen on touring, then get yourself a nice little caravan to tow behind your daily and use the panel for fun and shows. Loads of people will disagree and say they camp in their bus' all the time but actually, how comfortable and convenient is it?

Theres obviously an element of truth about what youre saying, they are 40+ years out of date in many ways and hand in hand with the romance and convenience of a vw camper goes all of its shortfalls ... but, thats kind of the point, isnt it? :D

Latest posts