Westy Poptop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbob

Reaction score
Morning.
Quick question, I have looked at the westy manual, and I was wondering what the correct way was to secure the poptop down on my 1970 Westy.
There is currently a threaded rod at the rear that has a wing nut that does up through a hole in the tin. And at each side there are the brackets (though not the rubber straps) to secure it when down.
Is the threaded rod original?

Also, once the poptop is up, is it solely the sprung folding legs at each side that hold it up? Are there no solid braces to stop a gust of wind slamming it shut on my noggin?

Cheers!

R

Hello

There should be a rubber toggle with a metal-shaped bracket to hold down the rear of the roof to the cutout, your threaded rod setup is a mod me thinks. The sides are held down with to rubber toggles one each side.

And yes the only thing holding the roof up is the metal sprung legs, just down sleep up there in the wind :lol:

Just

My westy had threaded hold downs when I got it (A US bodge), it now has two black rubber toggles either side and a yellow one at the back with a metal hook as Just mentions.

You can get the rubber toggles from somewhere like JK or VW heritage.

Cheers guys.
Will get a couple of toggles and leave the threaded rod at the back I think!

Not sure if its still possible to get the toggle that holds the back down not seen one with the metal bracket that clips on to the edge of the sunroof aperture.

Will post pics and dims for rear metal bracket.

Ian

Got my rear yellow one from JK early this year, but noticed that they do not currently have it listed online. Probably best to give them a call.

Latest posts