Westy roof safety bracket

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrobinson2010

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's as paranoid as me but my kids sleep in the roof of our westy on a conversion that replaces the fold out bed.

The hinges are fine but when its windy I'm worried they'll snap back and the roof will drop down. It weighs a bloody ton so not worth thinking about...

So have been thinking how to make a simple metal tube that can slot over the length of the hinges and then rotate to lock so it can't pop open.

But before I start thought if ask what if anything anyone else has done...

Lol :lol:

Your not alone , it's crossed my mind too !

Ive got so many kids just not gotten time to sort out the issue !
I'll b interested to c what the replays r !

I too have my concerns. I must admit I lie their on a windy night and worry about it coming down. I came up with a fairly simply solution last summer. I found a spare ten pole and lashed it either side of one of the hinge points with some spare guide rope. Seemed to do the trick and don't think it was going anywhere fast. Although if it was blowing a really bad gale I think I would drop the pop top and decant to the awning just to be safe. Think I also put something bulky at the far end (cab end) to make a physical buffer incase all else failed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm heading to France next week in the van so will try strapping so thanks for the tip. If I make something and get it fabricated I'll post the details and let you know how I get on... cheers