Westy sinks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
What year did the stainless sinks start appearing?
My Westy has a fibreglass / resin white sink which (i have been told) is from a 68.
Any ideas?

On US exports, the 68 sink was a one piece white fibreglass sink with drain, on 69's it was a stainless insert without drain set into a melamine surface and from 70 onwards it was a one piece stailess with drain.

SA might be different?

The only pic i (currently) have of the sink
DSC04514.jpg

My van is a 69 so it looks like i might have the wrong sink unit (cheers gadget :lol: )

Clem said:
On US exports, the 68 sink was a one piece white fibreglass sink with drain, on 69's it was a stainless insert without drain set into a melamine surface and from 70 onwards it was a one piece stailess with drain.

SA might be different?

I concur ;)

Looks like its a '68 sink then, white fibreglass with drain.
What tap should it have then as i dont have anything just a hole (also have a smaller hole next to it, any ideas?)

froggy said:
The only pic i (currently) have of the sink
DSC04514.jpg

My van is a 69 so it looks like i might have the wrong sink unit (cheers gadget :lol: )

Simon,

It might just be due to being a SA model or may just have earlier parts fitted. Just noticed in your picture the R&R bed locker door seems quite wide. On US models I believe this was a '68 feature, Wensbry's bus has this wider door, his is I think a 69, but mensioned to me if I remember correctly that it had '68 interior parts.

Is there a plaque on the R&R bed that shows the Westy conversion and date?

Cheers,

Si

froggy said:
Looks like its a '68 sink then, white fibreglass with drain.
What tap should it have then as i dont have anything just a hole (also have a smaller hole next to it, any ideas?)

You need a chrome coleman type hand pump faucet and the smaller hole is for the filler neck and screw on cap. Early taps are two screw fitting, later are three screw.

My 69 tourist delivery SO67 Westy also had the plastic sink. I've seen a few 70 SA Westies with the plastic sink; it looks like the steel ones came in 71 on the SA Westies.

The SA ones had the same sink as 68's up to 70 I think, but they were always a bulk head version. That is what confused me, but now I know that this has been converted to a walk through that makes sense.

Cool bus, 8)

Latest posts