westy tin top or pop top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNT

Reaction score
hi,
i keep umming and rring about tin top or pop top, is either one more desireable than the other when it comes to a investment/return, when you spend alot of k its piece of mind that youve made a good decision (sometimes your vision is clouded)
thoughts are welcomed
thanks all.....

It's like marmite. Some people love em (poptops) others hate em.

If the poptop is a Westy poptop and you already or will have a Westy interior, then it's worth the $$ putting one in, as far as resale value is concerned.

If the popup is a Dormobile, it's also worth it, but they cost appx 1000 to put one in (by Dornmobile themselves).

Any other poptop is not worth it, IMO.

You will also get people who love camper interiors but never want a poptop and will avoid them like the plague.

:msn4:

TIN TOP why ruin those loveley factory lines with a glass fibre punt (mind you handy with all this rain :lol: )not getting at westy owners just like tin tops ;)

What do you like the look of? Thats the key ;)

And what will you use it for? Tin tops are fine for singlies or couples 'weekending' or days out etc, but for proper camping an elevating roof is unbeatable.

Clem said:
What do you like the look of? Thats the key ;)

And what will you use it for? Tin tops are fine for singlies or couples 'weekending' or days out etc, but for proper camping an elevating roof is unbeatable.

I agree, I do prefere the lines of an OG roof but the Westy pop top follows the lines well and is so useful with a family. An absolute must!

thanks to you all.
oh my god ! still just as frustated feel like stacey off x factor

Value wise I think you'll not lose out on either option.

Tintop for me. Had 2 for for past 5 years. Use it every year for weekends away and 2 weeks in august in France. We have 2 kids. But also use and sleep in the awning not the van on anything more than a weekend. This has the added benefit if camping for 2 weeks in the same spot you don't have to remake the bed etc each day. Also you don't have to get everybody out of bed to go on the van and buy some milk etc.

From a style point of view a tin-top wins hands down in my opinion although a pop-top makes life so much easier and more comfortable thats why i brought a Westy pop-top. But at the end of the day it all comes down to what YOU want and need from your Volkswagen.

I have a tintop which is fine for us (at the moment) although i can see the future involves a pop top (as the family gets older)
If going for a poptop then its got to be a westy

I went for a tin top.. but in hin site i should have gone for a pop.. being 6,4 and the missis at 5,10 theres not alot of room to move ie when ya getting dressed ect (we dont have an auning as yet) will have to get one asap though cooking in the rain is not an option lol. But when the time comes a white westy pop top will have to be done.. They can still look the tits...

IMO ;)

Driving and the first day of camping - Tintop,

2nd day - Hmmmm... Tin Top just about still (unless I've drunk too much)

Day 3 onwards - Pop Top

Wife - Pop Top

Children - Pop Top

...........That's why I bought my Tintop without telling them..

I still don't think it matters though because when it's yours you'll love it anyway...BUT one thing I don't think you should do is buy one and then alter it to the other, you don't need to - there are plenty of both out there ;)

;)

Id say Tin Top as you dont see any Pop top Panel vans , Thank god :shock:

Latest posts