What’s the best replacement fuel hose?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza1975

Reaction score
It’s that time of year to replace the fuel hoses on the twin carbs ready for the season.
What’s the best on the market And where from?
Looked at Halfords, heritage, JK, local motor factors and all seem pretty much the same.

Oh and what’s the best diameter? Currently have 8mm Id for Webber 34ict’s

Thanks in advance!

If you're using 8mm, get the Gates Barricade 5/16" fuel hose.
I used 5.5mm on my 34 ICT set up, so I'm not sure if 8mm will be too big?
Whatever size you use, get a decent ethanol proof fuel hose like Gates or Codan, unfortunately the ethanol resistant stuff from the usual suppliers will degrade from the inside out within 18 months or so.

Still don't trust that stuff they sell called R9.
6 months after using had to replace due to cracking. :shock: :shock:
Now using proper rubber hose from Advanced Fluid Solutions. (no financial gain)
Been in for 4 years now, no cracking or splitting. :)

J & P
:D :D :D

sparkywig said:
If you're using 8mm, get the Gates Barricade 5/16" fuel hose.
I used 5.5mm on my 34 ICT set up, so I'm not sure if 8mm will be too big?
Whatever size you use, get a decent ethanol proof fuel hose like Gates or Codan, unfortunately the ethanol resistant stuff from the usual suppliers will degrade from the inside out within 18 months or so.
+1 for the Gates hoses👍

I had installed the R9 in a clients Bus, when he came for a service after a year, all the hoses were cracked!! I was shocked to see it after so little use😱😱

Abel

I got the advanced fluid solutions 5.5mm for my setup. Twin weber 34 carbs. Compared with the R9 hose I had a few years ago it is so much more flexible to work with, the R9 seems really stiff. You have to be really careful what you buy as said above a lot of VW suppliers are still selling fuel hose that doesn't last.

Thanks all, I have gone for the gates at 5.5mm id. A bit more than the R9 stuff but from what I’ve learnt it’s worth it!

Thanks again all

Latest posts