1955cc engine spec

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got all my parts back from being machined and balanced so starting the rebuild now.

I've just installed the double-thrust cam bearings but looks like they're tight. This video (at around 3:50) has the same issue as I have:

[youtube]t0d87g-iCrc[/youtube]

Is it normal to have to sand the thrust faces to achieve the clearance? Can't recall having to do this before but I guess it depends on cam/bearing combination?

On the single thrust bearings, they come most of the times ready to be used. On the dual thrust though, i have had to always adjust them.

The way i do, i adjust one thrust bearing at the time until the cam spins free on both sides of the case, then i torque the cases together with the cam and bearings to make sure it spins freely. If doesn’t, i take a rubber mallet with a piece of aluminum or brass and hit the cam on both sides, that’s enough to make it sit properly and spin freely in the case. Worth noting though when doing this way is that i have to try and remove the same amount of material on the same locations for both side bearings, a bit tricky i must say.

I always shoot for a loose zero backlash tolerance, that’s why i sand a tiny bit at the time and test fit again. Time consuming, but perfection takes time😉😎

Abel🤓

While checking the camshaft back lash, the rotation got to a point where it got really stiff and locked! Found the reason to be a slightly bent tooth on the trailing edge of the crank gear that was chewing up the corresponding tooth on the aluminium camshaft gear. Probably got bent when being removed. New gears ordered. Things are never plain sailing...[emoji849]
44c8caae52f792441d52cd1544900831.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gone for helical or straight cuts?? :msn4:

Love the Magnum straight cuts in my 2110, make it sound fast even when it’s idling :mrgreen:

Just the normal helical. It's going in my early bay so didn't want the whine of the straight cuts. Agreed, sound gorgeous though [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's been a while, but we're up and running again

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yg4oPekGN3oUNBBq9

This was the first start so doing the cam burn. Few tweaks to timing, mixture and fan-belt tension since. Still got to get a new MOT before I can test in any anger. So far, so good though :D

Latest posts