What am i missing?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Me again!. Am i right in saying that if i take the dizzy cap off and turn the ignition on, then flick the points open that there should be a spark? this is on a 1600 71 bus. If there is not a spark what should i being doing right?

Cheers
Busboy1971

I didn't think you would see a spark I thought it just released the energy built up in the condenser, but I could be wrong, If you wanted to see a spark take a lead off put a plug in it hold it against your engine to earth it and then turn the engine by hand :D

You may well see a spark, as by opening the contact you remove the negative from the coil and the coil which doesnt like the change in state trys to maintain the cct and voila you get your arc across the contacts. but how strong is the battery? how good is the coil and all the wires? you'll only see the spark upto the point where the gap is too large to bridge..

The condenser is a capacitor and takes the huge spikes and "absorbs" them actually just diverts them to negative, a capacitor being a DC block, any alternating DC will be smoothed thus saving your contacts from premature pitting.

SORTED!!!!!
Turns out the wire running from the condensor to the points was arkin on the dizzy housing, bit of adjusting and done. Runs ok but cant test drive as my throttle cable snapped.
Any one think of somewhere maybe near manchester where i can get a cable pretty sharpish (next day or two)?

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks guys,
I tried GSF but they dont have the correct length i need also they do not list a LHD cable for my year with the correct 'hoop' end on for the pedal part.

Thanks

Mark

Latest posts