what amps

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisby

Reaction score
My van has a dodgy ignition switch , so it has had a press button fitted, now this has packed up. Ive temp fitted an on/off switch so I can use it but I want to fit another press button .Does anyone know what ampage I need. :)

you could just fit a relay and do it that way :D I was thinking it was round 15amp but really don't hold me to that, I was looking for some cool push buttons the other day and i think i am gonna get one from a WWII spitfire all the old planes have really cool heavy duty buttons, was gonna add wings and guns but not sure it would pass the MOT :D

As Shaggy suggests best to fit an ignition relay by the starter motor and a low ampage switch in the dash it will help with starting issues too especially on the cold winter days ahead.

I think when this issue came up a little while back I posted the relay kit part number...I'm at work now so dont have it at hand I'm sure if you do a search for ignition swith etc... within the last 3 months deffinately...

Araon you are bad you should be working not playing around on the internet I will tell your boos :twisted:

Its my last night before the weekend and I've got a poxy 20 min survey that I cant attend till 01:00 so what else am I to do....

Suppose I should really prep for next weeks onslaught...

you should be drinking tea and dunking biscuits while pondering on your next big ebay buy

I'm not allowed any money now for the rest of the year...

Still shes not seen the canoe else i'd be typing this from a hospital bed :D

Its collapsible and she dissappeared out this afternoon so whipped it out of the van and snuck it into the overcrowded shed...theres big spiders out there so its safe for the time being...

I just need to tidy the woodwork up (good bit of mahogany) and the metal fixings, I did manage to get some of the skin (splash deck) and its in good nick... so somehow need to find the plans for an eighty year old Klepper skin anyone got any ideas???

chrisby said:
My van has a dodgy ignition switch , so it has had a press button fitted, now this has packed up. Ive temp fitted an on/off switch so I can use it but I want to fit another press button .Does anyone know what ampage I need. :)

I had the same problem, my father wired me a relay under the dash and I fitted a button I found on an autojumble stall, no idea what amperage it is rated at, but as it is only operating a relay it don't really matter. It is best to use a powerful relay, I found using a 40 amp accessory relay from a scrap golf was fine, these also make good split charge relays too.

Chris are you going to Shaun's meet at Chacewater on the 14th October?

Yeah WHS a 40 amp relay is more than capable but try to keep mit in the engine bay that way the current on startup isnt been attenuated through a double length of the van run of cable. This has always been a problem with the T2 start up....

The switch can then be as pretty as you want without being a heavy industrial item.... Shaggies looking at spitfire switches 8) as are a lot of the old aircraft switches or you can fit some really smatr flush momentary switches...

Good luck :D

Thanks to all for the replys , another little job for later , Im Waxolying at the moment before the worst of the weather arrives.
Yeh I hope to make it to the Chasewater meet, be good to have a chat. :)

Latest posts