What distributor ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grazy

Reaction score
I am wanting to find out what distributor I should actually have on my engine .

I have a 1600 single port that is stock , my engine is a CKD unit so is a bit , Quirky .

My engine builder thinks my current dizzy is rotated 90 degrees , possibly a type 3 one

I woud like to get the correct model distributor that would have been originally fitted , so if anyone knows what it should be running or if anyone has a very good one for sale that would great

Thanks Graeme

depends on your carb....

Solex 30PICT-3, H30/31 PICT, and 34PICT for type 2 through 71 you need an SVDA or 009 if you dont mind the flat spot, with a 30PICT-1 or 30PICT-2 you will need to plug the retard vacuum port located on the rear (bus rear) of the carburetor to use an SVDA.

Some Californian buses were fitted with a Dual Vacuum Dual Advance and throttle retard device to pass stricter emission rules it has two pipes off the vacuum can.

The #1 notch on the rim of the distributor should be at 5 o'clock. 90 degrees rotation would = 1 o'clock as you describe, then it may be that the camshaft has been inserted wrong. If this is the case it shouldn't matter so long as the plug leads are fitted appropriately.

Firing order is 1432, so if you start at 1 o'clock, the connections on the distributor would be --

2 1
3 4

pull the #1 plug and the right rocker cover. Find TDC with BOTH valves shut (loose) -- this will be the firing stroke for #1, and see where the rotor is pointing. That will be your starting point. Once you have #1 the others will follow the correct sequence.

All depends on your carb +1

I had a Bosch 009 on my solex 34pict and suffered from very noticeable flat spots off idle/pulling away and gear changes.
I swapped to a SVDA electronic dizzy I got from another helpful early bayer and the difference (once I had done the timing and connected the vac tube) was amazing. No flat spots, smooth acceleration, great drivability. It's all to do with matching the right dizzy to the right carb.

Thanks guys I have the correct carb for my engine that had been totally refurbished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52ab7500fe5f604f8925445cc590fc68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same carb on my 1600SP and it requires a vacuum advance only (!) distributor. No SVDA, no 009. There are countless different Bosch and VW numbers around but what you want is an original Bosch, rebuilt (I would recommend a Pertronix Ingnitor upgrade), vacuum advance only (the larger diameter vacuum can), no centrifugal advance. Mine is a VW 111 905 205 AA, Bosch 0231 137 039. This is the official replacement for the original VW 113 905 205T. There is a list somewhere on the web with original distributor numbers and official replacements if applicable. That's where I got that info from at the time but don't have the link for you right now.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Hi folks, I need some help.

I bought a converted panel van a few years ago, she was a 1700 type 4 engine originally. Now she is nearly 2l.

She now has twin weber IDF carbs, and an 009 dizzy. She has a flat spot slightly bigger than Holland. I've refurbished the dizzy and I think I've taken everything as far as I can get without changing anything. My carbs do have vacuum advance ports, so I'm of a mind to go over to an SVDA dizzy, but I can't find anywhere which dizzy I need - to match the vacuum created by the carbs I mean. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Latest posts