What Do I Need to Have for France?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilbo

Reaction score
Any advise on what I need to carry for a camping trip to France? I know there's some things I need to take from a legal perspective but any other "must carry" items?

First of all give your vehicle a good service. You will have to carry 2 or 3 breathalyzer kits as well as fluorescent jackets.Check with your insurance company to make sure you have European recovery.As far as spares go basics are the best . Fan belt as well as spanner to remove pulley nut, set of points and condenser, a distributor cap and rotor arm and not forgetting some spare fuses. You are also obliged to carry a spare set of bulbs.As far as tools go, its up to you but the most common sizes that you may need will 10 mm,12 mm, and 13 mm spanners and a few screwdrivers unless you need to do a major job. Its also a good idea to carry a ltr bottle of engine oil.Have a great time and let us know how you get on.
Robert

That's really good information - thanks very much. It looks like Cool Air do an essential spares kit for just over £40!

it was mentioned above - but check your recovery cover if it is bundled with your bus insurance - mine is recovery (to home ) in UK, but when abroad is only recovery to nearest garage... this distinction was kinda lost in the small print !

I do need to take out recovery (just covered by my bank at the moment) - any recommendations?

About 5 years ago I broke down in Wales and my Lloyd's banks free AA brake down cover only got me uplifted to nearest garage. You will need to get proper European to Home Insurance which will be available through your existing insurance company. Hopefully you will not need to use it but if you have to, you will get your vehicle transported home. Better safe than sorry.
Robert

The breath tests kits are not needed anymore. Legally - warning triangle, hi viz for all passengers, spare bulbs, first aid kit and spare glasses if you wear them.

Other than that? Oil, fan belt(s), basic tools, spare tyre/wheel, throttle and clutch cables. I usually have oil change and rocker gaskets, selection of nuts/bolts/screws, cable ties, wire, connectors etc. Trolley jack, foldable axle stands and gloves.

Has anyone actually been pulled up on any of this bullshit? I doubt it.
Spare bulbs? You've got to be kidding right? I just changed the bulbs on my Audi and it took me over an hour on the drive with a large selection of tools and youtube instructional video on the laptop. To expect someone to do that on the side of a motorway is just ridiculous.

I'm a renegade. I carry beer, tobacco and my emergency break down cover card.
You may also consider a fresh baguette and some saucisson.
That is all. :lol:

Sorry Clem but you got it wrong about Breathalyzer kits. See below.

France - breathalysers for all and reflective jackets for motorcyclists
Several changes have been made to motoring laws in France in support of the International Decade on Road Safety though two new laws have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely

January 2013 - Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013. Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance..
Robert

dustrat said:
Sorry Clem but you got it wrong about Breathalyzer kits. See below.

France - breathalysers for all and reflective jackets for motorcyclists
Several changes have been made to motoring laws in France in support of the International Decade on Road Safety though two new laws have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely

January 2013 - Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013. Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance..
Robert

Good info :D

Like I said, no need to bother anymore :lol:

aspro said:
Has anyone actually been pulled up on any of this bullshit? I doubt it.
Spare bulbs? You've got to be kidding right? I just changed the bulbs on my Audi and it took me over an hour on the drive with a large selection of tools and youtube instructional video on the laptop. To expect someone to do that on the side of a motorway is just ridiculous.

I'm a renegade. I carry beer, tobacco and my emergency break down cover card.
You may also consider a fresh baguette and some saucisson.
That is all. :lol:

My closest brush with the French traffic police was getting a 'hang loose' wave from a patrol car that overtook me 8)

Crazy thing about the bulbs is that some French cars, you have to drop the front bumper off completely to change 'em! Who's going to do that on the Peripherique at 5pm?!

Yes there's a lot of antiquated old legislation kicking around.

London taxis having to carry hay for the horse is one that springs to mind Lol.

I normally carry a few spare bulbs in my toolkit but even back in the old days I can't see people carrying spare sealed beam headlight units around with them. The breathalyser thing was a total fiasco.

I just carry a high viz jacket and warning triangle as does everybody I know.

It's worth noting though that the last time I went to Spain they wanted not just one high viz per car, they wanted one per person in the car!

The world is full of useless twats inventing useless new rules instead of doing something productive or useful. (Probably because they are too dumb to do anything else).

Latest posts